Cabrera ejected...

The Wedge

More comments for those interested. My guess is the Kay and the rest of the broadcasters will be singing the party line today, but interesting to hear what they really thought last night.

Joe Girardi, unhappy that his best hitter got drilled for the second time in four games, wouldn't accuse Cabrera of headhunting, but he repeated several times that the pitcher had hit Derek Jeter earlier in the season. "He's done this before," Girardi said.

"I don't like it. He was down in the zone all night and you just don't like it. It's happened a few times with this guy, Daniel Cabrera. At times, we know he has some control issues, but it's awful dangerous when you're up there.

"He hit Jeet. I know his ball runs a lot and can sink and you're 6-9, your mechanics get out of whack, but Alex had a (single) and a homer tonight."

Rodriguez, who singled in the first and cut the O's 2-0 lead in half with a sixth-inning homer, said "No," when asked if he thought Cabrera threw at him intentionally. But that's his standard answer.

Cabrera (7-6), who allowed eight hits and three runs in seven-plus innings and beat the Yanks for the third time this season, denied intent, too. "He knows I'm not trying to hit him," Cabrera said. "The game's 6-1, nobody out, runner on second. How am I going to put someone on base?"

Fairchild disagreed. "There had been no warnings given to that point in the game, but my thinking with the ejection is when Alex came to bat the prior time, he had hit a home run, and the very first pitch his next at-bat was up towards the head area," the ump said. "I deemed that pitch intentional and I removed Cabrera from the game."

Source

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will say this, after perusing through the NY Post and Daily News, most of the articles are implying Girardi is being an idiot/hypocrite about this, given what Joba's done with Youkilis.

I think Girardi is in over his head at this point. :clap3:

"I don't know. You never know," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "Daniel Cabrera is wild, but I don't like it. He was down in the zone all night tonight and you just don't like it. It's happened a few times with this guy, Daniel Cabrera. We know at times he has some control issues but it's just awful dangerous when you're up there."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=280729110

Yeah Joe, it was clearly intentional. :rolleyes:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=280729110

Yeah Joe, it was clearly intentional. :rolleyes:

Well, FWIW, Cabrera really, REALLY has a hot head. Throwing twice at Pedroia's head in one at bat was extremely bush league and dangerous.

With that being said, I think he's just really perturbed at yesterday's loss, today's loss, and is venting. Not a fan of Girardi either way.

He was frustrated and really didn't know what to say..A Rod said "No" when asked if he thought it was intentional.

What I don't get is why Girardi didn't use Sexson for Betemit..Why'd you bring Sexson over if you're not going to use him against lefties, especially in that spot. I'll take it of course, but questioned that decision as soon as Betemit came up.

He can think it was intentional all he wants. I am so happy that he is not our manager.

The bottom line is D-Cab pitched a hell of a game and the O's won. Again. I could care less if Madonna has to massage the bruise on A-Rod's shoulder. I personally do not think it was intentional, but Girardi needs soemthing to whine about.

Go put your fake mustache back on Joe, maybe then you might salvage one of three in this series.

This incident also really pointed out how vastly superior of a color man Jim Palmer is to the worthless and insufferable Buck Martinez.

Palmer would've immediately started ripping the umpire and talked about how he was trying to make himself the star of the game and that he needs to get his ego in check.

All Martinez said was that "nobody but the umpire thought he threw at him on purpose" but that since the umpire thought it was on purpose "it was within his rights to throw him out."

I honestly don't understand how anybody can stand listening to Martinez work a game. His voice is awful, he doesn't offer any thoughtful insight, and he never calls out a player, coach, or umpire when they make terrible plays. He's terrible. "He sure is!"

I couldn't agree more. I can't stand listening to Buck Martinez in the booth. I'd rather have Dempsey in there.

"WAAAAAAAAAAHHH! Their pitcher throws really hard and inside. That shouldn't be allowed against my beloved Yankees!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!"

My thoughts exactly. He was down in the zone all night so that means he can't come up? I don't get it. Yeah sure I guess it's dangerous, but couldn't that be said about facing ML pitchers in general? It can be rather dangerous to have someone throwing a ball 90+ MPH in your general direction. Girardi isn't that stupid to not understand the game and the situation. In my opinion his quote was more or less to keep the seed planted in the heads of the umpires that DCAB tries to hit people. And I don't really get that whole rep because he's only ever really thrown at Pedroia on purpose as far as I can recall.

Hunter just mentioned that he's a minor league umpire. Literally, not an insult. He's filling in.

Then Hunter doesn't know what he's talking about! Chad Fairchild 53 games behind home plate the last 2 yrs.

If he wasn't just filling in, he's have a helluva lot more than 53 games over 2 years.

Face it, the guy is a sub. There's no excuse for MLB using subs as umps.

Archived