Mullins optioned, Wilkerson called up, Lucas DFA'd

MurphDogg

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Wilkerson could platoon with Ruiz at 3B as well. I'm just not thrilled with seeing Joey Rickard everyday in CF.

I had another thought after seeing that Ruiz is playing 1B tonight with Davis on the bench. Once Smith is healthy, if it's a Davis bench night, Wilkerson is a valid (i.e.: better than Ruiz/Nunez) option at 1B. Or in RF if you want Trey at 1B. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, interloper said:

I had another thought after seeing that Ruiz is playing 1B tonight with Davis on the bench. Once Smith is healthy, if it's a Davis bench night, Wilkerson is a valid (i.e.: better than Ruiz/Nunez) option at 1B. Or in RF if you want Trey at 1B. 

Yeah, I think Trey goes to 1st and Wilkerson to RF in those situations.  

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Wilkerson could platoon with Ruiz at 3B as well. I'm just not thrilled with seeing Joey Rickard everyday in CF.

I wonder if Richie Martin could play CF if needed?   Obviously not much of a bat there but I bet his speed, glove and arm would play out there.   

Just now, Frobby said:

I wonder if Richie Martin could play CF if needed?   Obviously not much of a bat there but I bet his speed, glove and arm would play out there.   

At some point that might be tried down the road if they start looking at him in a utility role, but Martin is on this team because of his SS defense so he's going nowhere off there for now.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, I think Trey goes to 1st and Wilkerson to RF in those situations.  

Personally, yeah, I would hope so. 

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Was also wondering about that. I bet he'd be pretty good out there. The transition worked for Jones! 

Just now, webbrick2010 said:

Sure hope Diaz and Hays get to the majors sometime soon.

No one in our outfield can throw the ball 150 feet in the air.

Everyone is running on our weak OF arms

Mostly, what we are seeing are trots…

I know some folks figured you might as well give Mullins until June, July, etc but.. even a rebuilding team at some point needs to make a call both for the team and the player. The manager just saw his team get swept at home with a giant hole in the lineup. Even Davis and Martin are starting to hit a little bit. Mullins has looked nothing like a player who is even remotely close to figuring it out and, as Tony has pointed out, he's stuck in a pull-only mode. It was at the point where you're starting to hurt the player's development. 

44 minutes ago, interloper said:

The thinking on Wilkerson I guess is that you continue to delay making a decision on any top prospect and he's a guy that is easily slipped through DFA multiple times. Elias has used the DFA almost like you would use options. He's just doing it with guys that tend to slip through. And if they don't? Who cares lol. Wotherspoon, Rogers, Wright, etc. All figure to slip through and stay with the organization. 

I guess that is the beauty of having guys who aren't major league caliber players  and who are out of options.  No one is going to pick them up when you DFA them. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I know some folks figured you might as well give Mullins until June, July, etc but.. even a rebuilding team at some point needs to make a call both for the team and the player. The manager just saw his team get swept at home with a giant hole in the lineup. Even Davis and Martin are starting to hit a little bit. Mullins has looked nothing like a player who is even remotely close to figuring it out and, as Tony has pointed out, he's stuck in a pull-only mode. It was at the point where you're starting to hurt the player's development. 

I agree. I also think the object is to be as competitive as possible. We're still sort of a major league team. This isn't extended spring training.

3 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

With all the talk about the importance of defense, it strikes me that our outfield defense may not be as good as last year's. Of course, our pitchers do protect the outfielders by putting so many balls out of their reach.

I think the fan's defense in the bleachers has improved 10 fold.

Archived