Mullins optioned, Wilkerson called up, Lucas DFA'd

MurphDogg

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Curious. I would have expected Mason Williams or Santander. Of course, what does it all matter, anyway?

Kind of agree, it doesn't really matter but it does.  As I said, I'm not sure what they want to see what Wilkerson has (even though I like Wilkerson) but maybe the new regime sees something that they like him?  

Maybe there are more moves to follow.  Who knows.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Idk how Stewart didn’t get the call?  We just DFA’d Wilkerson. Obviously, we aren’t too high on him

That's why he's up. No need to push anyone of any potential value whatsoever. The name of the game this year (and next?) is to field a group of 25 guys that can complete 162 MLB games. 

Williams never really got much of a shot in the big leagues. Only 200 PAs across four years - most of it coming last year in Cincinnati where he hit .293 with .331 OBP in 132 PAs. Struck out a decent bit - but not terrible numbers.

5 minutes ago, theocean said:

Williams never really got much of a shot in the big leagues. Only 200 PAs across four years - most of it coming last year in Cincinnati where he hit .293 with .331 OBP in 132 PAs. Struck out a decent bit - but not terrible numbers.

I think they want him to get in a groove before calling him up. He was only OPSing .617 in the minors.  Maybe let him break out a bit before a callup.

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Kind of agree, it doesn't really matter but it does.  As I said, I'm not sure what they want to see what Wilkerson has (even though I like Wilkerson) but maybe the new regime sees something that they like him?  

Maybe there are more moves to follow.  Who knows.

It's been tough to get a read on Elias' moves so far. But it seems like he's going with the lesser prospects first to bide time and churn the 40 man a bit. 

I agree that Mason Williams makes sense if you just need a defensive backup CF. Wilkerson is hitting better, but I mean, who cares? As long as the next man up is not the total non-factor that Mullins was at the plate, you're basically good. 

If I had to guess at the tie breaker between Mason and Wilkerson? It would be that if you lose Mason to a DFA claim, you have to probably go find another actual CFer for Norfolk. If you lose Wilkerson, there are plenty of UTIL IF/OF guys. But that's not a particularly strong reason. 

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Interesting to see them bring up Wilkerson. I wonder if they see him taking some reps in centerfield or does this mean more Rickard? Wilkerson just made his first start ever in CF the other day.

Probably not a coincidence.   He has the speed to do it.   But more than one game’s experience would have been nice.   

6 minutes ago, nate22 said:

yI think they want him to get in a groove before calling him up. He was only OPSing .617 in the minors.  Maybe let him break out a bit before a callup.

Williams is slashing .323/.410/.452/.862 in his last ten games. I'm really surprised he wasn't brought up, especially since the DFA'd Lucas.

Just now, interloper said:

I guess one reason is that once Smith is healthy, you have a backup CF on the bench who can also play the infield. So that's something that Williams can't do. 

Wilkerson could platoon with Ruiz at 3B as well. I'm just not thrilled with seeing Joey Rickard everyday in CF.

Archived