The bats are cooling in May

Frobby

11 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

So will Chance will get another look soon? 

Would have to think they want to see him have some steady performance for awhile longer at AAA but who knows. 

Interesting that Hyde would choose to mention this.   Can’t make Severino and Wynns feel very comfortable.   

54 minutes ago, atomic said:

Yeah if you only have 3 guys who can hit you aren’t going to score many runs. The team should really call up Mountcastle already.  He most likely would be our best hitter.

Why would the Orioles won't to take any chance on messing up Mountcastle by rushing him after only two months in AAA, plus the service time issues. I want to see him put up huge numbers at Norfolk and let him start fresh next April in Baltimore.

3 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Why would the Orioles won't to take any chance on messing up Mountcastle by rushing him after only two months in AAA, plus the service time issues. I want to see him put up huge numbers at Norfolk and let him start fresh next April in Baltimore.

The only service time issues are the ones OH member are obsessing over.  We have no indications of it being a factor in a potential promotion of Mountcastle.

If a guy is ready to be promoted you aren't doing his development any favors by keeping him down just to put up numbers.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

After a surprisingly decent (which isn’t to say good) March/April, the bats have cooled considerably so far in May, with the O’s scoring only 29 runs in 9 games and posting a .634 OPS.  

"Bats are cooling" is relative.  They weren't exactly hot in April either.   We'll agree to disagree that .695 OPS is "surprisingly decent."
APR - .241/.303/.392/.695  OPS+88
MAY - .222/.270/.363/.634  OPS+76

37 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Villar is a lifetime .256 hitter and that is what he was hitting before yesterday's game. 

He's had good seasons and bad ones. The hope is that he will have one like he did in 2016.

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I think Mountcastle situation will be interesting to follow. He can hit but where does he play on this team?, plus the service time question? I’m curious how Elias handles it. 

Davis has slowed the get rid of him talk. I thought he was done by end of June but to his credit he has picked it up. 

Unfortunately the Hays injury and Mullins struggles have hurt in CF. Hope Hays or even Mullins can be up by mid June. Don’t see any changes at SS, 2nd and 3rd. Of course Villar could be dealt, but later. 

Catcher is all about whether Sisco gets another chance. 

So basically

-CF

-1B/DH 

- C   

Hope Diaz gets healthy and is at least in the conversation later on.  

I’m ready for Davis to go. He has no future with this team. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

To end up in that range he’d have to OPS .720-.745 the rest of the season, to make up for his good start.     I don’t think that will happen, but that’s why they play the games.     We will find out.   

You mean to finish at my prediction he would have to hit better the rest of the season than he did all of last season?  

4 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I think Mountcastle situation will be interesting to follow. He can hit but where does he play on this team?, plus the service time question? I’m curious how Elias handles it. 

Davis has slowed the get rid of him talk. I thought he was done by end of June but to his credit he has picked it up. 

Unfortunately the Hays injury and Mullins struggles have hurt in CF. Hope Hays or even Mullins can be up by mid June. Don’t see any changes at SS, 2nd and 3rd. Of course Villar could be dealt, but later. 

Catcher is all about whether Sisco gets another chance. 

So basically

-CF

-1B/DH 

- C   

Hope Diaz gets healthy and is at least in the conversation later on.  

DFA Nunez and move Davis to DH and Mountcastle first baseman.  Nunez probably clears waivers 

5 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

I’m ready for Davis to go. He has no future with this team. 

4 hours ago, atomic said:

DFA Nunez and move Davis to DH and Mountcastle first baseman.  Nunez probably clears waivers 

If either one of these things happen it will not be anytime soon. 

At this point Nunez more likely. 

Archived