Interesting Article on How Crush could be our All-Star

LA2

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He's 16th in the AL in PA by a catcher.  He's tied for 7th in homers.  He's about 9th in OPS.  Even if you don't give any credit for prior years he's something like the 8th-best AL catcher in 2019.

If you look at career resume... well, his .821 OPS this year has raised his career mark to .615.  Last year is the only time he's been given an extended MLB look, and he ended up with the same batting average as Chris Davis.

IMO you don't give All Star selections based on four singles.  If Severino had four fewer singles he'd be hitting .179.  If you apply the "three week slump" rule, Severino would be in Norfolk if he had a three week slump.

Top 8 might be better than the O's have at any other position. If he can maintain that .821 for a couple more months and increase his PA's, he can book some plane tickets to Cleveland in July!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Top 8 might be better than the O's have at any other position. If he can maintain that .821 for a couple more months and increase his PA's, he can book some plane tickets to Cleveland in July!

It’s really way too early to speculate who our all star rep will/should be.   Severino has made only 20 starts in 43 games, but he’s been starting 75% of the time since Sucre got sent down.   If that continues, by the time the all stars are chosen he’ll probably have another 100-125 plate appearances, compared to the 77 he has now.   Who knows how he’ll be hitting by then?

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s really way too early to speculate who our all star rep will/should be.   Severino has made only 20 starts in 43 games, but he’s been starting 75% of the time since Sucre got sent down.   If that continues, by the time the all stars are chosen he’ll probably have another 100-125 plate appearances, compared to the 77 he has now.   Who knows how he’ll be hitting by then?

I think Sisco has just as good a chance (see what I did there?) of being our AS Game rep, even if he's not called up before then.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Since his career minor league OPS is .642 I think we can make a reasonable guess.

Severino wouldn't be the strangest, least likely All Star of all time.  There has been a player or two who made the roster because they were physically nearby where the game was being held, there was an injury, and they had a glove, basically.  But he'd be in the top 10.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Nobody thinks he deserves it right now.   But what the article was saying is that he has an .899 OPS since his hitless streak ended, so what if that continued from now until the time that they make the all star selections?    Well, if that actually happened, he might very well be the most deserving Oriole to make the all star team.    But personally, I don’t think that will come close to happening.    I’m just glad the guy isn’t a total embarrassment at the moment.   

The reverse would be, who IS the All-Star of this team?  Means (unlikely this early), Givens (relief pitchers aren't voted, so maybe higher chance), Mancini if he continues hitting...   While I get Davis would be an unconventional pick, it's not like we're overflowing with All-Stars.

8 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

The reverse would be, who IS the All-Star of this team?  Means (unlikely this early), Givens (relief pitchers aren't voted, so maybe higher chance), Mancini if he continues hitting...   While I get Davis would be an unconventional pick, it's not like we're overflowing with All-Stars.

Yeah, that's one of the main points of the article. The O's don't have a lot of good All-Star options.

17 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

Yeah, that's one of the main points of the article. The O's don't have a lot of good All-Star options.

Hey look at that, I picked 3/4 without reading that far.  Smith was a thought, but seemed a bit too much behind Mancini. 

1 hour ago, PaulFolk said:

If I had to choose right now, I’d say Mancini or Givens.   But the big point here is, we don’t have to choose right now.   We’ve played fewer than half the games that will be played before that decision has to be made.   An awful lot can happen before then, good or bad.  

By the way, Mancini is 12th in OPS, 11th in BA, 11th in SLG, 8th in runs, 9th in hits, 4th in doubles.   He’d be far from embarrassing as an all-star selection right now.    Where he’ll be by early July, who knows?

The All-Star team is meaningless and we get to have one player, I'm fine if its Davis, especially if this "comeback" is real or at least hes crawled out of the hole hes been in.  It would be a good story for the team, the fans, and is probably the only shot the Os have at getting any attention around the All-Star Break.  

1 hour ago, MikeAD said:

The All-Star team is meaningless and we get to have one player, I'm fine if its Davis, especially if this "comeback" is real or at least hes crawled out of the hole hes been in.  It would be a good story for the team, the fans, and is probably the only shot the Os have at getting any attention around the All-Star Break.  

It would make the all-star game a joke to put Davis in there.  He hit .160 last year and he is hitting .180 this year. I am not sure what would be good about the story.  There is no way he is going to get his average up to anywhere near all-star standards by the all-star break.  Really they should eliminate the every team gets an all-star.  It makes being an all-star meaningless. 

1 hour ago, atomic said:

It would make the all-star game a joke to put Davis in there.  He hit .160 last year and he is hitting .180 this year. I am not sure what would be good about the story.  There is no way he is going to get his average up to anywhere near all-star standards by the all-star break.  Really they should eliminate the every team gets an all-star.  It makes being an all-star meaningless. 

Yes well Im talking if he continues the path hes on for the next two months.  The ASG is about entertainment, it doesn't matter who is on the field.  The one player from every team rule is fun and gets more people to watch.  At this rate it will likely be Mancini.  

29 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

Yes well Im talking if he continues the path hes on for the next two months.  The ASG is about entertainment, it doesn't matter who is on the field.  The one player from every team rule is fun and gets more people to watch.  At this rate it will likely be Mancini.  

He has 4 hits in his last 22 at bats.   That is a .181 average.  

11 hours ago, MikeAD said:

I think what people are forgetting is that All Star is only loosely correlated to established performance or resume.  It's a show for the fans.  If Davis is still on his prodigal son tour in late June, why not?

Archived