Interesting Article on How Crush could be our All-Star

LA2

3 hours ago, atomic said:

He is 13th in WAR among position players on the Orioles. The only players worse are Nunez, Mullins and Martin.  

It's an enjoyable piece of fantasy-writing nonetheless. Maybe you didn't read it closely: It's based completely on his performance since the end of the hitless streak. I doubt that his WAR ranks that low among the O's since then. Does Mullins even have a WAR during that interval?

Stories of collapse and redemption get made into movies.  Nobody really notices consistent competence.

Not that the Orioles really have much in the way of consistently good performance from an All Star caliber player.  When someone could bring up Paul Fry as an All Star candidate you might as well nominate the guy who hit .000 for 50 PAs then had a .900 OPS for a while.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Severino could be a sneaky choice due to position.

He's 16th in the AL in PA by a catcher.  He's tied for 7th in homers.  He's about 9th in OPS.  Even if you don't give any credit for prior years he's something like the 8th-best AL catcher in 2019.

If you look at career resume... well, his .821 OPS this year has raised his career mark to .615.  Last year is the only time he's been given an extended MLB look, and he ended up with the same batting average as Chris Davis.

IMO you don't give All Star selections based on four singles.  If Severino had four fewer singles he'd be hitting .179.  If you apply the "three week slump" rule, Severino would be in Norfolk if he had a three week slump.

2 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

Do you think he deserves to be a all star? Sorry but I don’t.

Nobody thinks he deserves it right now.   But what the article was saying is that he has an .899 OPS since his hitless streak ended, so what if that continued from now until the time that they make the all star selections?    Well, if that actually happened, he might very well be the most deserving Oriole to make the all star team.    But personally, I don’t think that will come close to happening.    I’m just glad the guy isn’t a total embarrassment at the moment.  

• Upvote 2