The Silver Lining Report: Game 47/162 (O's lose 10-7)

interloper

Woops!

• ? Hanser Alberto: What a game for this guy. A triple short of the cycle with 2 runs driven in, a SB, and a couple really tough bermuda-triangle pop-up catches at 2B. Have a game, Hanser!

• Andrew Cashner: Continued his good season with another quality start that should have resulted in a W for him, but you know, Orioles. Really pleased with what he's brought this year. Touched 97. Where did that come from?

• Richie Martin: Played maybe his best game at shortstop all season. Just made every single play and did it beautifully. A pleasure to watch him play defense. He smashed a double while he was at it. 

• Dwight Smith Jr.: A 3-hit night including his first career triple as he got his bat back on track. Nice to see. No we won't talk about that one play because this is the silver lining thread! 

• Renato Nunez: More signs that his bat is perhaps getting unstuck as he doubled and homered. Don't give up on him yet.

• Shawn Armstrong: Haha, the Mariners. It never gets old.

• More RBIs: An RBI single from Severino, an RBI sac fly from Mancini. 

Look, it got ugly at the end, but that's because the bullpen and defense is bad. See? It makes sense if you think about it. But they scored a bunch of runs and there were some good things out there. Like I said yesterday, the time is approaching where changes will be made. I think it's time for DJ Stewart, at the very least. But there's not much help to be had yet pitching-wise. Just ride the wave, baby. Trust the process. 

The D looked really nice at moments and really bad at moments.  I wonder how this game might be different if we could hit the cutoff man. 

I worry a bit that with all the losing guys will try to win the game by themselves and aim to hit 5 run homers with no one on base or strike out the side with one pitch.  They might need a bit of silver lining reminders to stay within the game.  Smith (2x) and Rickard monster throws way off the mark and Givens seemed to overthrow with the same feeling.  Shame it went sideways, because there really was a lot to like about this game.  Martin twice ranging to far side of 2B and making throws to 1B and Ruiz with the diving stop were awesome. 

So yeah, add Ruiz to your list too ;) I'm trying to keep it all Silver Lining...haha.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

• Dwight Smith Jr.: A 3-hit night including his first career triple as he got his bat back on track. Nice to see. No we won't talk about those three playbecause this is the silver lining thread! 

Fixed that for you!    Still, glad to see his bat awaken because he’s slumped the last several days.   

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Last 3 times through the rotation for Cashner/Means/Bundy (9 starts total):

54 innings, 34 hits, 17 walks.  2.33 ERA, 0.93 WHIP.

A trick that I feel like has happened many times over the years, the offense and pitching seems to pull against each other.  Offense takes all the mojo and we lose 10-9, pitching takes the mojo and we lose 1-0.  It's rare even in winning years that we have a blow out (in our favor).  It's really just a feeling, I have no data to back it up.  Although like last night, maybe this is more a starter vs relief thing, but you get my idea. 

0.5 GB of the #1 pick.  So look, another silver lining.

2 hours ago, interloper said:

Woops!

•  Hanser Alberto: What a game for this guy. A triple short of the cycle with 2 runs driven in, a SB, and a couple really tough bermuda-triangle pop-up catches at 2B. Have a game, Hanser!

• Andrew Cashner: Continued his good season with another quality start that should have resulted in a W for him, but you know, Orioles. Really pleased with what he's brought this year. Touched 97. Where did that come from?

• Richie Martin: Played maybe his best game at shortstop all season. Just made every single play and did it beautifully. A pleasure to watch him play defense. He smashed a double while he was at it. 

• Dwight Smith Jr.: A 3-hit night including his first career triple as he got his bat back on track. Nice to see. No we won't talk about that one play because this is the silver lining thread! 

• Renato Nunez: More signs that his bat is perhaps getting unstuck as he doubled and homered. Don't give up on him yet.

• Shawn Armstrong: Haha, the Mariners. It never gets old.

• More RBIs: An RBI single from Severino, an RBI sac fly from Mancini. 

Look, it got ugly at the end, but that's because the bullpen and defense is bad. See? It makes sense if you think about it. But they scored a bunch of runs and there were some good things out there. Like I said yesterday, the time is approaching where changes will be made. I think it's time for DJ Stewart, at the very least. But there's not much help to be had yet pitching-wise. Just ride the wave, baby. Trust the process. 

Good stuff and tough loss but another personal silver lining is to know when to bail and go to sleep while the team is still ahead when the L is imminent.  Glad I did not suffer through it and the fresh reminders of Alberto, Martin, Ca$h and Nunie make today happier and not morose!  Unicorns all around!  ?

10 hours ago, SteveA said:

Last 3 times through the rotation for Cashner/Means/Bundy (9 starts total):

54 innings, 34 hits, 17 walks.  2.33 ERA, 0.93 WHIP.

Last 3 times for Straily and Hess:  27 IP, 37 H, 16 BB, 10.33 ERA, 1.96 WHIP.

I think we’ve pinpointed a problem!

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Last 3 times for Straily and Hess:  27 IP, 37 H, 16 BB, 10.33 ERA, 1.96 WHIP.

I think we’ve pinpointed a problem!

And I think you’re missing the point of ‘silver linings’.

12 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

And I think you’re missing the point of ‘silver linings’.

Yeah, I hated to post that here, but it was the logical place to respond to SteveA’s post.    Or maybe the “silver lining” is that we’ve identified where the problem lies?   That’s a stretch, I realize.   

Just now, Frobby said:

Yeah, I hated to post that here, but it was the logical place to respond to SteveA’s post.    Or maybe the “silver lining” is that we’ve identified where the problem lies?   That’s a stretch, I realize.   

As long as I don’t piss you off, I’ll take it as a win.

?

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I just don’t want to piss off interloper, who is performing a major public service here.   

I was referencing your little skirmish in another thread. 

I love interloper’s work.

8 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I was referencing your little skirmish in another thread.

I love interloper’s work.

Yes, I realized that.    

And I love interloper’s work and don’t want to distract from it with unpleasant facts.

Archived