Straily to the pen; Opener to the rotation

wildcard

Why do I say Opener?  Because I don't see another starter on the 25 man roster.

From baltimorebaseball.com

Straily goes to the bullpen: Hyde said that Dan Straily, who has a 9.09 ERA will go to the bullpen starting on Saturday.

“Give him a breather,” Hyde said. “Not have to go out and try and give us six, seven innings…Go out to the pen and try and give us some crispness out of his stuff, just be able [to go in] short spurts with him. Things go well, maybe get back in the rotation at some point. The right thing to do for him, for us is to get in the bullpen for now.”

Straily’s spot in the rotation comes up Monday, and Hyde hasn’t decided on a starter, and says that someone currently on the team will get the start. He’ll announce it on Saturday.

Would it be outside the box to try Kline as a starter?   He was a starter in the minors before his surgery.    He pitched an inning tonight and was pulled for a pinch hitter.    He definitely could be ready to give us a few innings on Monday.    

I think his repertoire plays better in relief, but I wouldn’t be against trying this.   

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Would it be outside the box to try Kline as a starter?   He was a starter in the minors before his surgery.    He pitched an inning tonight and was pulled for a pinch hitter.    He definitely could be ready to give us a few innings on Monday.    

I think his repertoire plays better in relief, but I wouldn’t be against trying this.   

Kline may become the O's closer.  Givens is having a lot of trouble in the ninth.

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Kline may become the O's closer.  Givens is having a lot of trouble in the ninth.

I think Givens is just having a blip.   He’s generally been good this season.   Tough week, but he won’t be pulled from the closer role for that.  

It's gotten to a point where I really don't care anymore who's on the mound for us.  

That's not 100% true, I'm mildly interested if it's Bundy, Cashner (until the other shoe drops) and Means.  And if we're talking about relievers, Fry...until he shows that he's a mirage, too.

Other than that, I don't see anyone who'll be here in two years.  This is about as close as it gets to the analogy of shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.  That's exactly what we're talking about here.

Straily, Ramirez, Hess, some new guy named Chandler...I just do not care who chews innings for this team.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think Givens is just having a blip.   He’s generally been good this season.   Tough week, but he won’t be pulled from the closer role for that.  

It could be a blip or he could be Tommy Hunter. A guy who for whatever reason doesn’t have the mentality for the 9th, but is good otherwise.

Archived