A couple of thoughts about our current catchers and Adley Rutschman

Frobby

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

There may not be a single player that is currently on the team that will be here in 2021.  

That is supremely unlikely.  People seem to think that anything of worth with be sent packing and nothing will be left.  I dont think that's the case.

I would stake a claim to Brenden Kline being on the 2021 team.

6 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

That is supremely unlikely.  People seem to think that anything of worth with be sent packing and nothing will be left.  I dont think that's the case.

I would stake a claim to Brenden Kline being on the 2021 team.

And I would bet my life that he won’t be.

Now Branden Kline, that’s another story...  ?

Just now, Cy Bundy said:

If Sisco kills it for the rest of the year, what kind of a return could we get for Adley?

How about we let all of the catchers get more than a month of solid major league performance before we flip them?  At this point Adley could be Johnny Bench, or he could be Eric Munson.  The potential return could be anything from a bag of magic beans and a fungo bat, to way more talent than any single farm system has.

16 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

How about we let all of the catchers get more than a month of solid major league performance before we flip them?  At this point Adley could be Johnny Bench, or he could be Eric Munson.  The potential return could be anything from a bag of magic beans and a fungo bat, to way more talent than any single farm system has.

Gotta take advantage of hot streaks! And since when is Thurman Munson not a good catcher?

1 hour ago, Cy Bundy said:

If Sisco kills it for the rest of the year, what kind of a return could we get for Adley?

“A player who signs after being selected in the MLB Rule 4 Draft (First-Year Player Draft) or who was eligible for selection in the Rule 4 Draft but was not selected and who signs with an MLB club as a Non-Drafted Free-agent (NDFA) cannot be traded for at least 90 days or until after the conclusion of the World Series (no earlier than 9 AM on the day after the final game of the World Series), whichever comes last. 
NOTE: Previously, a player signed after being selected in the MLB Rule 4 Draft could not be traded until the first anniversary of the player signing his first contract. “ 

If any of these catchers step up to being solid or star players at catcher and we still don't have a solid 1B option, I don't see the logic in trading the catcher so Adley can play there when he could play first base. Granted, I don't know how good he is at first base, but I am far from insisting that he play one position when he can play a second position if it makes the team better. If a catcher we have does become a legitimate major league catcher before Adley gets to the majors, I definitely think it should be an option. I don't see the rush in planning to trade any and all catchers that show promise. If Adley was only a catcher, then I'd agree. That's not the case however.

2 minutes ago, Sessh said:

If any of these catchers step up to being solid or star players at catcher and we still don't have a solid 1B option, I don't see the logic in trading the catcher so Adley can play there when he could play first base. Granted, I don't know how good he is at first base, but I am far from insisting that he play one position when he can play a second position if it makes the team better. If a catcher we have does become a legitimate major league catcher before Adley gets to the majors, I definitely think it should be an option. I don't see the rush in planning to trade any and all catchers that show promise. If Adley was only a catcher, then I'd agree. That's not the case however.

If you wanted a first baseman you should have drafted Vaughn and saved a bunch of money.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

If you wanted a first baseman you should have drafted Vaughn and saved a bunch of money.

I want the best overall team possible. Being able to play multiple positions makes him versatile. If he ends up producing offensively and can play a good first base, I don't see the issue. A switch hitting first baseman that can hit for average and power (if he ends up living up to that) is still an outstanding first rounder. It would be a huge plus if one of these catchers turns into something. Just because he is drafted as a catcher doesn't mean he has to play catcher if we end up needing a first baseman more.

Just now, Sessh said:

I want the best overall team possible. Being able to play multiple positions makes him versatile. If he ends up producing offensively and can play a good first base, I don't see the issue. A switch hitting first baseman that can hit for average and power (if he ends up living up to that) is still an outstanding first rounder. It would be a huge plus if one of these catchers turns into something. Just because he is drafted as a catcher doesn't mean he has to play catcher if we end up needing a first baseman more.

You NEVER need a first baseman more than a catcher.

You can always move someone to first, you pretty much can't ever move someone to catcher.

Now I have no issue with giving him the occasional start at first but your killing his value if you move him full time.

Archived