There Are Rumblings That the O's Will Not Take Rutschman

Greg Pappas

4 minutes ago, Kaven5 said:

What should be such an exciting moment for Oriole fans is somehow dampened by the constant doubt due to budget rumblings. This pick will give you an indication where the new look Orioles really stand.

Welcome also. The Orioles, broke as they are, will spend all of their money on the draft. All of it. 

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SteveA said:

I'm not saying he won't take Rutschman.   I'm saying he'll take the guy who he thinks is best, and I don't think fear of looking like a dope will have ANY influence on his decision.  

If Elias was basing his decisions on whether or not he might look like a dope, I would consider him unfit for the job. You just can't operate that way. I want him and his team to go with what they think is the best choice for us and I fully expect us to spend every penny of the money we have. If we go underslot so we can spend more later, great. I definitely don't want them sitting around scared and trying not to fail. That is not a good approach to any of this and I agree that he won't take public perception into the equation.. nor should he.

11 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

I get Adley over Witt but Vaughn? This board is tough on Witt boy darn. I just don’t get it I’v read reports of him being the best SS since Arod so what if there is concerns if he k’s a few times everything else is plus, speed, arm, glove and power. Personally I’d rather have the stud short stop over the stud catcher or stud 5’11 first basemen. Seems like many here are discounting Witt and I just don’t get it.

Just the competition. Nothing against Witt. He’s one of the three people I could accept taking. But, he hasn’t played against the same competition. I don’t see HS guys play and it’s just harder to get excited about that. It’s all projection 

Does Rutschman being almost major league ready make a difference?  His first few eligible years would be on a really bad team.  Would it be better to go with Witt and let him develop over these lean seasons?  Not advocating it, just asking.

Just now, drdelaware said:

Does Rutschman being almost major league ready make a difference?  His first few eligible years would be on a really bad team.  Would it be better to go with Witt and let him develop over these lean seasons?  Not advocating it, just asking.

I think if that is a deciding factor, you’re really overthinking it. Just pick the best player. 

2 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Just the competition. Nothing against Witt. He’s one of the three people I could accept taking. But, he hasn’t played against the same competition. I don’t see HS guys play and it’s just harder to get excited about that. It’s all projection 

I hear ya and the only real knock I have on Witt that I’m sure could be a big turn off is he’s 19.

1 minute ago, drdelaware said:

I personally think this is the best argument against Rutschman...and I want them to draft him. 

2 minutes ago, drdelaware said:

He still starts off in low A in all likelihood.  He may move more quickly than others, but it's still probably three seasons before you hear from him in MLB.  

2 minutes ago, drdelaware said:

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

I think if that is a deciding factor, you’re really overthinking it. Just pick the best player. 

You could also deal him if he’s a stud and the competitive window doesn’t line up. Could also extend him beyond controllable years. 

Archived