2019 2nd round COMP B pick (71): Kyle Stowers - CF - Stanford (CA)

6 minutes ago, AceKing said:

Singable at under slot?  Looks like he can play and loves the game.  Those guys are important in mlb drafts, right?

Sure.  I don't hate it but liked others more.  I'm no expert and I'm sure there are $ and other things going on.  Trust the FO.

• Upvote 1

@Luke-OH

I apologize if you have already commented on this and I missed it, but like Meoli in the copied tweet, my recollection is that Stanford was known for teaching swings that suppress power. Do you know if that is still the philosophy employed by Stanford, and if so, do you think it would add to Stowers’ upside?

Edited by Sydnor

21 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

It’s not a sexy pick, but he’s got a shot to be 50s across the board. Big time Cape Cod performance. His Junior numbers at Stanford are fairly comparable to Piscotty, which would be really solid value at 71. There definitely more power than he’s shown, look at his hand drift forward with the hips. Simple fix, same thing Nico Hoerner did.

It reminds me all the Dodgers lefties swings: Bellinger, Verdugo, Pederson.

3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

It’s not a sexy pick, but he’s got a shot to be 50s across the board. Big time Cape Cod performance. His Junior numbers at Stanford are fairly comparable to Piscotty, which would be really solid value at 71. There definitely more power than he’s shown, look at his hand drift forward with the hips. Simple fix, same thing Nico Hoerner did.

So with the big time Cap Cod performance, I’d think that would give our Analytics more data to predict what he might become?

I like the draft so far. Don’t reach for pitching. Plus it always seems like bats are the safer picks. 

Fangraphs had Stowers going 32nd in one of their mocks, and ranked him 32nd on their board.    Here’s a write-up:  

TLDR

Stowers has a powerful cut and big raw power, but can be too aggressive at times, undermining the prototypical everyday right field tools.

Full Report

Stowers had a middling year due to issues with swing and miss, partially because he takes such a big, aggressive hack. That style of swinging is appealing to many teams, though, as it makes it likely that he'll hit for power in games. A sneaky good defender in center field, Stowers has some margin for error on the swing and miss if he can stay there. He'd be swing-appropriate for the Dodgers.

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2019-mlb-draft?type=0&sort=-1,1&pagenum=0&pageitems=10000000000000&team=