2019 21th round pick (618): Toby Welk - 3B - (SR) Penn State Berks

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Interesting to read that it was our analytics guys who steered the scouts to Welk.    

I find that to be a pretty logical approach. I do the same thing (with way less sophistication obviously) when finding interesting draftable players. I have some statistical criteria and round together a bunch of interesting performers and then watch game video to decide who has the tools to possibly succeed in pro ball and who doesn't. 

9 hours ago, JMU_Birdfan said:

He's a senior sign with an actual unknown ceiling because you just don't know what he'll do against good pitching. We know what he does against bad pitching and it's damn impressive. Have we found any "summer league" numbers on him?

These are from 2017, Perfect Game Collegiate Baseball League** Listed as a sophomore at that time:

image.png.8d52e42d26ac05b98fc06b6ee9703f2b.png

And from 2018, as a Junior:

image.png.0a644746d2585eba44946ce54c1b0470.png

**On their website PGCBL describes themselves as "New York's premier wooden-bat summer league."

23 hours ago, Cavspider said:

http://www.neacsports.com/sports/bsb/2018-19/releases/PSB_Toby_Welk_Selected_in_the_21st_Round_of_the_2019_MLB_Draft

Birth Date: May 2
Major: EMET
Hobbies: Hunting, fishing, archery, hockey, stickshift
Favorite Food: Venison
Favorite TV Show: Meat Eater
Favorite Movie: American Sniper
Favorite Actor: Bradley Cooper
Favorite Actress: Jennifer Aniston
Favorite Sports Team: Philadelphia 76ers, Phillies, the Birds
Favorite Athlete: Julia Green, Josh Donaldson
Favorite Book: Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Favorite Vacation Spot: Thunderdome
Favorite Musician: Eric Clapton
Dream Job: Work designing manual transmissions
Favorite Video Game: Apex Legends
Pre-Game Meal: Chicken and rice
Pre-Game Ritual: Visualize success, eye black applier
Preferred Super Power: Graduate with a 4.0
Sheetz or Wawa: No question, Wee-wa
Chipotle or Moe’s: Welcome to Moe’s!
Hidden Talent: I can remove covers from baseballs
Sport other than your own you like to play: Hockey
Career Goal After Graduation: Start a successful career, along with a family. Eventually start an outfitter out west for guided hunts.
Fun Fact: I like to hit baseballs hard 
:)
Goal for upcoming season: Outwork everyone, and earn the respect we deserve.
Nickname: Tobiatron, Tobes, Tobasaurus, Tobechut

beer-712205_06ea2_hd.jpegWith these responses, this should be his favorite beer.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

I've been searching through Google trying to read anything about his defense, but I've dropped the ball. :P  @Tony-OH @Luke-OH or anyone else here know anything about his defensive play at 3B?

From what I've seen he's got pretty good first step quickness, decent hands and a solid average 3B arm, but his accuracy can be a problem at times. I've got to go back and watch more of his defense on video to give a full analysis. 

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

From what I've seen he's got pretty good first step quickness, decent hands and a solid average 3B arm, but his accuracy can be a problem at times. I've got to go back and watch more of his defense on video to give a full analysis. 

Sounds like he's got some skills to work with. Thanks Tony.

Archived