Fangraphs: D.J. Stewart

weams

12 minutes ago, weams said:

It's unreasonable to judge a man on a week's worth of performance?  @wildcard would beg to differ.

I hope Stewart can get back quickly, I want to see what he can do.  Never been a big believer but curious to see if he can turn into something.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

In what universe is what Smith is doing considered a breakout?  OPS+ of 102 and poor defense.

In this universe.  I don't think anyone expected him to have done what he's done, holes in his game and everything.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's unreasonable to judge a man on a week's worth of performance?  @wildcard would beg to differ.

I hope Stewart can get back quickly, I want to see what he can do.  Never been a big believer but curious to see if he can turn into something.

In this universe.  I don't think anyone expected him to have done what he's done, holes in his game and everything.

A major league outcome is a huge ceiling for an end of the first round pick. A lot of guys are not MLB regulars. If only 'average"

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

To put up a .1 rWAR?  To be replacement level is considered a breakout?  I think folks are confusing a hot start for what he actually is.

My question is where is Stewart going to get his playing time and for that material his 25 man roster slot.

If Smith, Santander and Nunez keep hitting its hard to see them losing their spots.  Wilkerson is needed to back up center until Hays figures out which way is up.  Stewart may have to wait for an injury or Sept.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

My question is where is Stewart going to get his playing time and for that material his 25 man roster slot.

If Smith, Santander and Nunez keep hitting its hard to see them losing their spots.  Wilkerson is needed to back up center until Hays figures out which way is up.  Stewart may have to wait for an injury or Sept.

Keep hitting?  Smith has put up a 712 OPS in June.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Keep hitting?  Smith has put up a 712 OPS in June.

Its a little tough to be consistent when he does a face plant in a wall.  He only played in 13 games in June.  He still had 9 RBI and scored 7 runs in 46 AB in June.   

He is still tied for the lead in RBI for the team and has a 762 OPS.   He is going to have to go through a long dry spell to lose his spot to Stewart.

Just now, wildcard said:

Its a little tough to be consistent when he does a face plant in a wall.  He only played in 13 games in June.  He still had 9 RBI and scored 7 runs in 46 AB in June.   

He is still tied for the lead in RBI for the team and has a 762 OPS.   He is going to have to go through a long dry spell to lose his spot to Stewart.

Are you citing small sample size?

Also, yea, don't care about RBIs.

If the June numbers are not enough for you he was also below average with the bat in May.  He hasn't been hitting enough to make up for his glove, not by a long shot.

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Are you citing small sample size?

Also, yea, don't care about RBIs.

If the June numbers are not enough for you he was also below average with the bat in May.  He hasn't been hitting enough to make up for his glove, not by a long shot.

Elias has not sent him  down so maybe he does care about RBI.  Or  maybe its his 1.181 OPS with runs in score position.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Elias has not sent him  down so maybe he does care about RBI.  Or  maybe its his 1.181 OPS with runs in score position.

Seems totes sustainable since clutch hitting is well known to not be an actual skill.

You said he was hitting.  He hasn't been hitting since April.   

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Seems totes sustainable since clutch hitting is well known to not be an actual skill.

You said he was hitting.  He hasn't been hitting since April.   

Tell Eddie Murray that clutch hitting is not a skill.  But I would hope you are standing more than a arms length away from him when you do.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Tell Eddie Murray that clutch hitting is not a skill.  But I would hope you are standing more than a arms length away from him when you do.

What the heck does this even mean?  Are you suggesting that Eddie Murray has rage issues?  Somehow I don't think he'd take a swing at me for stating a baseball related opinion.

Even for you that's bizarre. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What the heck does this even mean?  Are you suggesting that Eddie Murray has rage issues?  Somehow I don't think he'd take a swing at me for stating a baseball related opinion.

Even for you that's bizarre. 

Not take a swing at you.  When Eddie decides to swing he hits.

You are good a side stepping issues but  the point is I pretty sure Eddie thinks clutch hitting is a skill.