2019-2020 International Signings Thread

5 hours ago, atomic said:

By the time they get here the Orioles might be good. I think most of these players are very poor and are happy to be getting the big signing bonus.

I don’t remember who made the initial comment, but I think it was a joke. Who cares how bad the Orioles are, these kids are going to a country that where they get running water and three good meals a day. Do you think they care about anything else right now?

7 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I doubt rankings are possible unless someone has seen them in person. Then add in the fact they are young? Basically take your best Scouting guess and hope a few make it.

I figured as much, but there must be something, at least for the top players, as the guy the Yankees signed was listed as the consensus top player available.

5 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't know the answers to most of these questions, but I think the passage I bolded is EXACTLY what happens.  "Luis, bienvenido a la organización. Aquí está su boleto de autobús a Elizabethton, Tennessee. ¡Buena suerte!"

Believe it or not I understood what you said, but I can’t think of any reason why that’s a good idea. Of course if a young boy, with all the typical problems of being a young boy, is suddenly uprooted and sent to a whole new country, a whole new language, culture, currency, without any support system except guys who are perfectly situated to exploit him, how can that possibly be a good idea?

And how can major-league baseball even begin to allow that? This is not about politics, I’m kind of conservative myself, this is just about common sense.

How do the Yankees do this with only $5.3 slotted?

• Jasson Dominguez, OF, Yankees: Everyone’s top target is reportedly holding strong on his commitment to go to the Bronx. The deal is said to be for $5.1MM, per Jeff Passan of ESPN.com, with an announcement expected this evening. Dominguez is a switch-hitter who’s said to possess five-tool ability. The Fangraphs team is sufficiently impressed to run him all the way up to the #61 overall MLB prospect ranking right out of the gates (via Kiley McDaniel, on Twitter). The Yanks also have struck a $1.2MM deal with outfielder Jhon Diaz, Sanchez tweets. He was the 18th-rated player on the MLB.com board but ran all the way up to #7 at Fangraphs.

2 minutes ago, Br10n said:

• Jasson Dominguez, OF, Yankees: Everyone’s top target is reportedly holding strong on his commitment to go to the Bronx. The deal is said to be for $5.1MM, per Jeff Passan of ESPN.com, with an announcement expected this evening. Dominguez is a switch-hitter who’s said to possess five-tool ability. The Fangraphs team is sufficiently impressed to run him all the way up to the #61 overall MLB prospect ranking right out of the gates (via Kiley McDaniel, on Twitter). The Yanks also have struck a $1.2MM deal with outfielder Jhon Diaz, Sanchez tweets. He was the 18th-rated player on the MLB.com board but ran all the way up to #7 at Fangraphs.

By trading for slots.  I imagine whatever team trades them is going to be getting more like what the Marlins gave up and less like what the Orioles have received.

2 minutes ago, Br10n said:

Because they're the Yankees.

48 minutes ago, esmd said:

I figured as much, but there must be something, at least for the top players, as the guy the Yankees signed was listed as the consensus top player available.

No. Not that. Other things. Not that. 

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

By trading for slots.  I imagine whatever team trades them is going to be getting more like what the Marlins gave up and less like what the Orioles have received.

I think they can gather up to 10 million? Or it only 9 for them. Did they sign a qualified free agent? 

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I don’t remember who made the initial comment, but I think it was a joke. Who cares how bad the Orioles are, these kids are going to a country that where they get running water and three good meals a day. Do you think they care about anything else right now?

Chicks?

In theory, all the teams could have paid Dominguez $5.1 million.   But these kids all want to play for Boston, LA, or NY.  The big media markets and teams that always win.    They don't want to play for anyone else.   If the Orioles offered $5.2 million and the Yankees offered their $5.1, would he have signed with the O's?   Hell no....

Plus, the Yankees probably were "gifting" this poor kid's family for years to buy his affections.   The whole system is just wrong on many levels and favors the big market teams....

2 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

In theory, all the teams could have paid Dominguez $5.1 million.   But these kids all want to play for Boston, LA, or NY.  The big media markets and teams that always win.    They don't want to play for anyone else.   If the Orioles offered $5.2 million and the Yankees offered their $5.1, would he have signed with the O's?   Hell no....

Plus, the Yankees probably were "gifting" this poor kid's family for years to buy his affections.   The whole system is just wrong on many levels and favors the big market teams....

Acuna is a Brave and Vlad jr is a Jay.  Wander Franco signed with the Rays.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Acuna is a Brave and Vlad jr is a Jay.  Wander Franco signed with the Rays.

Braves are broadcast on tbs, blue jays are the number 1 team in all of Canada and the Rays play in Florida which has a strong Latin community. Enough of your logic, ?

12 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Mark Reynolds was a SS at 22.

And he's hung on to keep playing and made quite a nice career for himself. You get the young(est) guys who can play the keystone positions, SS, CF, C, even 2B, they at least have the athleticism to become players at some position.

11 hours ago, jerios55 said:

Makes sense it would be for 2019, but as others have mentioned this International thing is new to me.  They don't always announce specifics for International money so "future considerations" wouldn't have surprised me either.  However, considering the work going in today, it seems that they planned on using the money this year.  So old international confederate money makes more sense.

Even Confederate money can be valuable!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-1861-Confederate-States-of-America-T-3-Montgomery-Note-ONLY-3-FINER-W-PMG/172842555877?hash=item283e3819e5:g:71kAAOSwdrhZpKf5