2019-2020 International Signings Thread

I believe I read a recent comment from Elias that quoted him as saying the O’s would spend nearly all of the International Signing Bonus $ in this year. Makes me wonder what he and Koby have up their sleeve. A bigger name Cuban defector, perhaps? They have about 4 million left. 

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

I believe I read a recent comment from Elias that quoted him as saying the O’s would spend nearly all of the International Signing Bonus $ in this year. Makes me wonder what he and Koby have up their sleeve. A bigger name Cuban defector, perhaps? They have about 4 million left. 

They do not have $4 million left.

The started with just under $6.5 million, their top 4 signings signed for $1.5 million total, the remainder of the players certainly signed for a total of more than $1 million.

Perez in his conversation with Dan Connolly in The Athletic estimated that they would have 30 to 40 percent of their slot money remaining after July 2. That equates to between $1.95 and $2.6 Million.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

The started with just under $6.5 million, their top 4 signings signed for $1.5 million total, the remainder of the players certainly signed for a total of more than $1 million.

Perez in his conversation with Dan Connolly in The Athletic estimated that they would have 30 to 40 percent of their slot money remaining after July 2. That equates to between $1.95 and $2.6 Million.

Thank you. I counted up 3 million spent just in my head 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

As a first step this is a really good day for the organization. By signing 27 guys on day one, it showed they were not getting the leftover guys that they had in the past.

Unfortunately, the more I read on how this process works it's apparent that we may not really see how good Perez/Elias are until 2020 or really 2021 J2 period. The way the system is set up, teams are now making "behind the scenes" agreements with 14-year olds now which means the Buscones now have to start "training" talent at 12 which means they are now "scouting" 10 year olds. It really is all quite ridiculous, but it's how the game is played over there.

Perez may very well be laying the groundwork for these 14-15 year olds for the 2020 and 2021 signing periods now. 

As for the talent they brought in, if you use signing slot bonuses of the amateur draft, the best the Orioles signed were 4th-5th round talent (4th round slot was $538,000 and 5th round slot was $402,000 this year).

The Orioles top for signings by bonuses were reportedly: (As reported by MASN/Melewski)
* OF Luis Gonzalez, 475-K
* SS Leonel Sanchez, 400-K
* LHP Luis Ortiz, 400-K
* RHP Moises Chace, 225-K

So let's call that an additional 4th rounder, two 5th rounders, and a 7th rounder ($235,100 slot).

While these kids are mostly 16-years old and it's hard to know how they will develop, there's definitely nothing wrong with adding additional talent into a system that needs additional talent.

The wet blanket strikes again.

Can’t we just assume these guys are all going to be superstars just for one day?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, weams said:

Thank you. I counted up 3 million spent just in my head 

I know you know this but...No one will know unless they release a total or the Venezuelan players’ bonuses leak. They have not leaked as far as I know. 

6 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The Orioles top for signings by bonuses were reportedly: (As reported by MASN/Melewski)
* OF Luis Gonzalez, 475-K
* SS Leonel Sanchez, 400-K
* LHP Luis Ortiz, 400-K
* RHP Moises Chace, 225-K

So let's call that an additional 4th rounder, two 5th rounders, and a 7th rounder ($235,100 slot).

Sorry if this is a dumb observation, but wouldn’t the price tag for an international player sought in this manner (I guess it’s like an auction?) be higher than a similarly skilled player coming out of the draft? 

11 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Sorry if this is a dumb observation, but wouldn’t the price tag for an international player sought in this manner (I guess it’s like an auction?) be higher than a similarly skilled player coming out of the draft? 

Jon Shepherd tweeted yesterday that international guys usually get like 30% more than a similar draft pick. Who knows?

I wonder if that’s true of the top guys. Seems like Jassssson would be in the top of the 1st round discussion if he’s really switch hitting Trout. The cap probably impacts things at the top. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Ok, my misunderstanding. I saw a tweet from Jon Shepherd with that figure. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I don't know if anyone has done the analysis, but I can imagine a bit of a premium for a free agent vs someone put into a slotting system. Saying that, I think it's impossible to put a real number on there because there are too many variables.

On 7/2/2019 at 3:38 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I said he wasn't allowed to spend freely last period, which I still believe.

I expected the level of commitment we've seen today.

Really?  Your record if never being wrong is still in tact?  Did you not say you expected the Orioles to still be bottom of the pack in International spending THIS period for months and months?  That you didn't buy into Elias' rhetoric about THIS signing period. You actually said "if I'm wrong I'm wrong" but now it seems you weren't wrong.  This is what you expected.  Wow!!!!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Really?  Your record if never being wrong is still in tact?  Did you not say you expected the Orioles to still be bottom of the pack in International spending THIS period for months and months?  That you didn't buy into Elias' rhetoric about THIS signing period. You actually said "if I'm wrong I'm wrong" but now it seems you weren't wrong.  This is what you expected.  Wow!!!!

Funny how opinions can change over time when additional data is introduced.  In the time between my initial comments and the signing period Elias made a number of statements on social media hyping J2.  Showing off the shirts, making statements about not trading away any slots, stuff like that.  I quite openly revised my expectations due to those comments.  Isn't that what we are supposed to do?

But you go ahead and keep worrying about me.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Funny how opinions can change over time when additional data is introduced.  In the time between my initial comments and the signing period Elias made a number of statements on social media hyping J2.  Showing off the shirts, making statements about not trading away any slots, stuff like that.  I quite openly revised my expectations due to those comments.  Isn't that what we are supposed to do?

But you go ahead and keep worrying about me.

Haha.  Did you admit you were wrong at some point?  I'm sorry if I missed it.  For someone who was spewing the same rhetoric for months and months, you must have posted "I was wrong" somewhere.  Really, you should have started an "I was wrong thread".  It really deserves it.

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Haha.  Did you admit you were wrong at some point?  I'm sorry if I missed it.  For someone who was spewing the same rhetoric for months and months, you must have posted "I was wrong" somewhere.  Really, you should have started an "I was wrong thread".  It really deserves it.

I don't get the obsession but sure if it will make you happy.

Since I made an initial assessment that I later revised one of the two statements will prove to be wrong.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't get the obsession but sure if it will make you happy.

Since I made an initial assessment that I later revised one of the two statements will prove to be wrong.

You should use a weasel as your new avatar.  You are as slippery as an eel so that would do as well.   Very weak!