Not to be whiny, but can we just cut Richie Martin loose already?

DocJJ

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Hey, it's not as serious as greenies.  I mean, that's real cheating.

Storm Davis: I can't believe some players take drugs.

Jim Palmer: What do you think those greenies are that you pop in your mouth in between inning when you're pitching?

Storm Davis: Greenies are drugs?

• Upvote 1

On 7/18/2019 at 6:01 PM, Roll Tide said:

You know the thing that happens to nearly every rule 5 guy that's not being offered back to their old team. Compared to past rule 5s he been on the active roster much longer. It's working the system.

The rule 5 guys are never going to speak up. They get to be on the IL and making MLB money. I’m pretty sure IL time counts toward the time they need to be eligible for a pension?  Then they’re on the 40. Which means you’re more likely to get called up. 

It would be dumb for the player to say anything and be returned to there other team’s milb system and not be on the 40 man. Ex. we have Araujo back, I’d say there’s a good chance he never sees the MLB again, but now he probably has a pension, and made that MLB money for 1+ season. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

28 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Storm Davis: I can't believe some players take drugs.

Jim Palmer: What do you think those greenies are that you pop in your mouth in between inning when you're pitching?

Storm Davis: Greenies are drugs?

Where’s that from?

29 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The rule 5 guys are never going to speak up. They get to be on the IL and making MLB money. I’m pretty sure IL time counts toward the time they need to be eligible for a pension?  Then they’re on the 40. Which means you’re more likely to get called up. 

It would be dumb for the player to say anything and be returned to there other team’s milb system and not be on the 40 man. Ex. we have Araujo back, I’d say there’s a good chance he never sees the MLB again, but now he probably has a pension, and made that MLB money for 1+ season. 

I agree the roster game is one that's commonly played. That's why there is a minimum number Of days that the rule 5 player has to be on the active roster. I'm not sure if it was Santander who came to us injured and didn't have enough games and had to be carried about 15 games the next season.

28 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

A story Palmer told on the air years ago. 

Here's a related story. During an O's old-timers game that was broadcast on HTS, Brooks Robinson made a catch after a long run. Brooks was mic'd for the game and he said to the broadcast crew that he needed to go inside and take a greenie. He may have been kidding. I was told the story by one of the members of that crew.

I was also told that for a very long time the Orioles made a candy dish full of greenies available to players in the clubhouse during games.

Another well known "secret" was that when George Bamberger was pitching coach, he had a wood shop in his garage, which he used to cork players' bats. 

There is a long tradition of cheating in baseball. The Orioles didn't miss out.

3 hours ago, JMU_Birdfan said:

Is Richie Martin next year's Opening day starting short stop? If not, then who?

Not sure that he will be, but I really like his set up at the plate last night. Lowering his hands and eliminating the leg kick really allows him to get through the fastball on time. We’ll see what the second half brings. 

This thread reminds me of the negative comments once commonly heaped onto Santander. Martin is a guy that still may hit after all. I would not count him out just yet. 

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Buck? Is that you?

Oh, so you are one who thinks there is any accuracy there yet? Advanced defensive metrics are sadly insufficient. Honestly, its that there are no better ones that disturb me.  And it would not be that hard to tighten it up. Savage.