Not to be whiny, but can we just cut Richie Martin loose already?

DocJJ

Yes, great defense.   

Sadly, no stick at all...   I mean he's just an automatic out.   And he hasn't shown any improvement at all to even suggest he might hit one day...

Then again, you could say the same about Chris Davis...

1 hour ago, DocJJ said:

Yes, great defense.   

Sadly, no stick at all...   I mean he's just an automatic out.   And he hasn't shown any improvement at all to even suggest he might hit one day...

Then again, you could say the same about Chris Davis...

He had a three week stretch with an OPS around .750 in June.  Let's also remember that this kid never hit until last year, due to the Athletics never giving him an eye exam and then figuring out what corrective vision could do for him.  So yes, his hit tool is definitely behind, but I can't really blame him for that.  He deserves to finish out the year as an Oriole and get a chance to prove himself at AAA next season.  It's not like he is blocking anyone else now, or at AAA next year.  

5 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

Not likely unless they get a SS back in a trade this month (unlikely). I also wish he'd show some signs if life at the plate too.

But he's a warm body until maybe McCoy is ready or eventually Adam Hall.  

This is true. We’re just so thin at SS. Well really IF in general other than 1B. Martin is here, why not play him?  I know it’s painful but we need definitive answers to questions. We don’t the season to end and say what about that stretch in June?

I think next year we see Elias pick up more depth at MIF and P, but this year was about evaluating what we had, and getting the 1:1 in the draft. 

I’m thinking Villar gets traded or gets non tendered. So next year we’re looking at Wilkerson/Alberto at 2B, and a ? at SS. Probably another rule 5 player. I would look to a team that is facing an impending 40 man crunch and see if we can get a IF solution for next year and beyond. That was one of the factors that TB traded that 2B to Tex for a relief arm. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

Yesterday I was looking through Luke's pre-Rule 5 draft thread. Lots of posters saying they wanted Martin, even if he didn't hit a lick, because our infield defense was so bad last year and we had no one in the system to play SS. So, now we've got better defense at SS and no hitting, and posters want to get rid of Martin, even though there is no one to replace him. 

Fascinating.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

Yesterday I was looking through Luke's pre-Rule 5 draft thread. Lots of posters saying they wanted Martin, even if he didn't hit a lick, because our infield defense was so bad last year and we had no one in the system to play SS. So, now we've got better defense at SS and no hitting, and posters want to get rid of Martin, even though there is no one to replace him. 

Fascinating.

Same names?

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Martin is 24 and skipped AAA.   I don't see the O's DFAing him.  He stays and plays and if Elias can come up with  someone better over the winter then he is optioned to Norfolk next season.    

I'd like to see McCoy promoted to AAA.

I don't care about keeping Martin at all. He does play the position and we are trading Villar. 

8 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't expect him to ever really hit.  But this year is all about getting the 1:1 next year.

He's also not blocking anyone that plans to be the future SS of this team.  

And we have thread winner! Congrats, for that you get one free chance to poke fun at @Can_of_corn. :D

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

He's by far out best Defensive option.  The hardest thing about being a Rule V guy has got to be trying to adjust to MLB pitching.  Martin was thrown to the sharks this year.  Never played at AAA, never seen pitching this polished, and its got to be in his head at this point.  

I say stick with him all year and see if he can work through it a bit.  His glove makes our D better. I would start bunting him like a pitcher to atleast promote some more productive outs.  Send him back to AAA next year and sign a one year stop gap if its that bad by the end of the season, but at this point, he is probably our 2020 SS.  

If Elias cut him at this point, I would be disappointed.