Not to be whiny, but can we just cut Richie Martin loose already?

DocJJ

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Agree with everything but the last statement. Fangraphs rates Villar the 12th best 2B. I thought he was middle of the pack. You have another year of control. 

I think they should DL Martin, them rehab, and recall when roster expands. He’s been on the roster long enough to cover the service time. 

By DL I assume you mean IL?  I hadn't heard he was injured.  What happened?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

By DL I assume you mean IL?  I hadn't heard he was injured.  What happened?

You know the thing that happens to nearly every rule 5 guy that's not being offered back to their old team. Compared to past rule 5s he been on the active roster much longer. It's working the system.

54 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

You know the thing that happens to nearly every rule 5 guy that's not being offered back to their old team. Compared to past rule 5s he been on the active roster much longer. It's working the system.

Not really, it's cheating.

For Richie Martin.

On 7/17/2019 at 4:54 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

Right now Martin hits about as well as Belanger, arguably worse considering context.  But he's about 30-40 runs worse than Belanger with the glove per season.  It's a stretch, but I guess I could see him growing into being an acceptable hitter for a shortstop, say a 70-80 OPS+.  

I see no path for him to make up 30-40 runs on defense a season.  Occasionally you'll see a player go from below-average to excellent with the bat.  Sosa.  Chris Davis.  Hughie Jennings.  Melvin Mora.  But I don't think I know of anyone who ever went from minus glove to a plus-plus glove at a key defensive position.  Or any position, really.  Defense usually peaks the moment a player hits the majors, or maybe before but we just don't see that.

My first impression of Martin was that he's a poor man's Mark Belanger, but when I looked at his numbers I was surprised to see he's considered to be an average SS at best.  I just assumed he was great with the glove because he's so bad with the bat.  He must be an all ceiling kind of guy because the way he's playing now he doesn't even seem like he could stick at AA at his age.

17 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

My first impression of Martin was that he's a poor man's Mark Belanger, but when I looked at his numbers I was surprised to see he's considered to be an average SS at best.  I just assumed he was great with the glove because he's so bad with the bat.  He must be an all ceiling kind of guy because the way he's playing now he doesn't even seem like he could stick at AA at his age.

Yeah. We can all agree that he is NOT a great defender.