Givens market heating up

Moose Milligan

The Phillies are in desperate need of bullpen help, and the club’s front office may pursue a familiar face to them from Baltimore.

Givens wouldn’t just be a rental as he doesn’t reach free agency until 2022, his age-32 season. That will make him a bit more expensive, but the front office may be comfortable enough with him from previous experience to take the plunge anyway.

https://thatballsouttahere.com/2019/07/15/phillies-orioles-mychal-givens/

• Upvote 1

The Brewers’ bullpen has been atrocious of late. For a team that leans so heavily on one aspect of their team as do the Brewers, that cannot be an acceptable outcome. The confidence in this team by the Brewers’ front office has to have taken a hit, so investing prospects in rentals might not be the best option for a 49-47 ball club. Finding controllable talent that can help this year and in the future is the articulated formula of David Stearns. A controllable reliever that can help this year too is Baltimore’s Mychal Givens.

If we look at what he has done since June 4, which includes a blow up against Boston, Givens has been great. He has pitched in 11 13 innings. He has a K/9 of 14.29. He has pitched to a 2.38 ERA and a 3.12 FIP. He still gave up those two home runs to the Red Sox on June 16, but otherwise has been lights out.

https://www.brewcrewball.com/2019/7/17/20696219/milwaukee-brewers-trade-target-mychal-givens-baltimore-orioles

17 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Givens wouldn’t just be a rental as he doesn’t reach free agency until 2022, his age-32 season. That will make him a bit more expensive, but the front office may be comfortable enough with him from previous experience to take the plunge anyway.

https://thatballsouttahere.com/2019/07/15/phillies-orioles-mychal-givens/

One player I'd have an interest in from the Phillies is 6'10 LHP Kyle Young . While most tall pitchers have issues with control, Young seems to have a good handle on that. He began in their Rookie league in 2016 and since has thrown 172 innings in his MiL career, with 166 K's against only 27 BB's. He also has a 2.92 ERA and 1.027 WHIP. According to an NBC Sports article from 2017, he...

...throws three pitches include a fastball that reaches the low 90s, a changeup and an off-speed pitch that Young calls a “slurve.” And he believes that his height gives him an additional weapon.

Givens is the last guy with any trade  value on the roster. Well unless you think Means will be traded.  I think getting something useful for the near future is a must. 

The rest of the team wouldn't get you a decent prospect if you threw them all in and paid th heir salaries.

26 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

One player I'd have an interest in from the Phillies is 6'10 LHP Kyle Young . While most tall pitchers have issues with control, Young seems to have a good handle on that. He began in their Rookie league in 2016 and since has thrown 172 innings in his MiL career, with 166 K's against only 27 BB's. He also has a 2.92 ERA and 1.027 WHIP. According to an NBC Sports article from 2017, he...

I suggested  Phillies-  Irvin, Maton, and Seabold

1.1 innings tonight. No walks, 1 K and 1 single in front of scouts from multiple teams. Mancini hit two homers and drew a walk and Villar legged out what should've been a hit on a sharp grounder. Not a bad night from the trade bait.

15 minutes ago, LTO's said:

1.1 innings tonight. No walks, 1 K and 1 single in front of scouts from multiple teams. Mancini hit two homers and drew a walk and Villar legged out what should've been a hit on a sharp grounder. Not a bad night from the trade bait.

I was thinking the same thing ....nice to see Trey break out of the slump. Givens having another good. Appearance certainly eases concerns.

Here is a Brewers writer speculating the cost for Given as an organizational ten, a lottery ticket type, and more due to heavy interest

He is not a brand name, but pitches close to one. He is the type of pitcher that David Stearns tends to like (under-the-radar and good). This would be a Brewers’ move that helps the team right now and helps the team in the future. From what I have seen being suggested as his asking price is also quite acceptable for a pitcher of his quality, a top 10 or so organizational prospect (definitely top 10 in Brewers’ organization) accompanied with a lottery ticket type of player. That price tag may go up as the number of teams come calling, but if that is the cost of Givens, Stearns and Company should move on this one and quickly.

He thinks they should do the deal

https://www.brewcrewball.com/2019/7/17/20696219/milwaukee-brewers-trade-target-mychal-givens-baltimore-orioles

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Brewers-Dubon, Hill, and a DSL type prospect.

I'll be interested to see how the Brewers approach the deadline. Only 50-47, but they're right in the thick of it - although basically the entire NL still has a fighting chance at the second Wild Card besides the Marlins. The Brewers actually have a -13 run differential, which was a bit surprising to me.

Their starting pitching has really been struggling as of late, you'd think their focus would be there - but they had no problem going into the playoffs without much of a starting rotation last year.

5 hours ago, LTO's said:

It was a good night for our trade bait, but a bad night for draft position. We’re now tied with Detroit in the W column, but have a 2.0 game lead in the L column for the #1 overall pick. We’re also now on pace to win 49.5 games. We also exposed a glaring hole in the nets bullpen.

The giants are making a run.  Now all but the Marlins are within 5.0 GB of the WC2 in the NL.  Everyone has been predicting CLEV to sell but they have 3.0 game cushion to host the WC game. It’s already helped us, and can only continue, that the aggressive Sox are 2.0 GB from a playoff spot at the moment. 

Right now it’s not the extreme buyer’s market that all the experts predicted. BOS and NYY, are going to make moves. Those teams behind BOS would love to stand pat, but I think they have to keep up. 

With all that being said, I don’t think Givens value is as low as it was. We’d probably get equal value, but definitely would not be selling low. 

58 minutes ago, theocean said:

I'll be interested to see how the Brewers approach the deadline. Only 50-47, but they're right in the thick of it - although basically the entire NL still has a fighting chance at the second Wild Card besides the Marlins. The Brewers actually have a -13 run differential, which was a bit surprising to me.

Their starting pitching has really been struggling as of late, you'd think their focus would be there - but they had no problem going into the playoffs without much of a starting rotation last year.

And their bull pen is weak according to the article 

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It was a good night for our trade bait, but a bad night for draft position. We’re now tied with Detroit in the W column, but have a 2.0 game lead in the L column for the #1 overall pick. We’re also now on pace to win 49.5 games. We also exposed a glaring hole in the nets bullpen.

The giants are making a run.  Now all but the Marlins are within 5.0 GB of the WC2 in the NL.  Everyone has been predicting CLEV to sell but they have 3.0 game cushion to host the WC game. It’s already helped us, and can only continue, that the aggressive Sox are 2.0 GB from a playoff spot at the moment. 

Right now it’s not the extreme buyer’s market that all the experts predicted. BOS and NYY, are going to make moves. Those teams behind BOS would love to stand pat, but I think they have to keep up. 

With all that being said, I don’t think Givens value is as low as it was. We’d probably get equal value, but definitely would not be selling low. 

I think something that works in the O’s favor here is that a lot of teams have awful bullpens. Even contenders who at the very least have weak links that Givens could replace. But most of all I think the extra years of control might be attractive to some of quasi competitive teams who might want to make a run this year but are focused on the next few years beyond.

• Upvote 3