The Nine Greatest Orioles Shortstops of All Time

Frobby

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

By the way, sorry for the various changes in font sizes and styles.   I originally typed this offline and something happened when I transferred it over that doesn’t seem to want to be fixed.  

You have to remove all "formatting" before copying/pasting -- best to prepare it in "plain text".

Just now, LookinUp said:

Great list. You probably could have stopped at 6. That's where the line of demarcation is.

Yeah, I agree.   The main reason I broke the list into tiers is that 3-6 are close and debatable, and then there’s a big drop-off.    

Still, the O’s have been pretty fortunate to have six shortstops of that quality.   Together they covered 49 of the 66 years the franchise has been in Baltimore, omitting any years where they played other positions or served as backups.   

Just now, Frobby said:

Yeah, I agree.   The main reason I broke the list into tiers is that 3-6 are close and debatable, and then there’s a big drop-off.    

Still, the O’s have been pretty fortunate to have six shortstops of that quality.   Together they covered 49 of the 66 years the franchise has been in Baltimore, omitting any years where they played other positions or served as backups.   

I immediately wanted to raise Hardy and lower Aparacio, but that's my age coming into play. There's no doubt that all four of those middle guys were really good contributors. I'd argue Bordick probably belongs at 6, but the other three can all make a case.

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

By the way, in looking for an explanation of what happened with Mark Belanger in 1979, I came across this fantastic SABR article about him:  https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/bbcae277.    It didn’t answer my question, but it’s a great read!

This SABR story on Kiko Garcia seems to indicate Belanger broke a finger in June. Garcia had been playing second and Dauer third while DeCinces was hurt in May. https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/e9b0085b

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

By the way, in looking for an explanation of what happened with Mark Belanger in 1979, I came across this fantastic SABR article about him:  https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/bbcae277.    It didn’t answer my question, but it’s a great read!

Wish there was some video highlights out there of him.  I've looked, can't seem to find any.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wish there was some video highlights out there of him.  I've looked, can't seem to find any.

Honestly, I’m not sure a highlight reel would really do him justice.   As mentioned in the article, he never dove for a ball.   I also don’t remember him doing 360’s to get his body in position to throw on balls up the middle on the OF grass.    He just covered a tremendous amount of ground and had a super-quick transfer and throw — no wasted motion of any kind.     And he threw in this over the top, seemingly effortless style.