Tanner Scott

weams

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Their 6/7 report by Greg Goldstein gives him credit for having a great fastball and a below average slider - no other pitches.  He gave him awful grades for command and control.  

That's the first time I've heard his slider described as below average.   I'd heard it was pretty nasty, notwithstanding that Scott doesn't know where it's going.    

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Anytime the scout only gets one look at a guy strange results can result.

And I'm guessing the preconceived notions of a lot of scouts that haven't followed him the last couple of months is he's a 1 pitch pitcher.  That was my preconceived notion until reading the posts about him this year on Orioles Hangout.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

That's the first time I've heard his slider described as below average.   I'd heard it was pretty nasty, notwithstanding that Scott doesn't know where it's going.    

There are also some games he goes a bit more with it. There are some games he doesn't seem to snap it down as much. There are some games he decides to throw as hard as he can.

He is mainly getting "live" work, working on his command and testing out different slots/speeds/grips with human batters in a game instead of a bullpen.

Part of the reason you shouldn't expect him in Baltimore this year and maybe not until September of next year.

• Upvote 1

Could not do this last game as he walked three, but on days when he isn't walking any and thus throws fewer pitches, I'd like to see him go another inning--both as a reward for him and to see how he does.  If, by the end of the year, he could be up to 5 innings, we'd really have something.

Or would this hurt the preparation of the guy assigned to follow him?

Just thinking long term potential here... but do hitters look uncomfortable against him?  Especially LH's. That's where he could first be a force for us. 

I like the developmental plan of allowing him to go multiple innings. Then have a side session between starts. They are doing it with Castro and Liranzo now. Castro is intriguing because he is the same age as Scott, he's just been extremely rushed. Castro came in the game the other night and was throwing sliders for strikes. I say so far so good. Kudos to the coaches in Bowie. 

Here's an article from the Sun discussing how the O's are developing Scott and speculating on how they'll continue to use him.  It covers a lot of what we've already discussed here.  

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-prospect-tanner-scott-finding-benefits-in-unique-schedule-at-double-a-bowie-20170628-story.html

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2017/06/showalter-on-chance-sisco-and-tanner-scott-game-update.html

Showalter dropped a line about maybe Scott could be a starter if he develops a change-up.  That's the first I've heard starter mentioned, but to be honest, the delivery looks like it would work for longer outings and he does maintain velocity over 3 innings.  The pitch arsenal would need to improve along with continued improvement in command and control. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/27/2017 at 3:25 PM, Frobby said:

It flashes nasty but it's never been a good pitch because it's so inconsistent. A lot of times it can look more like a cutter do to the lack of tilt.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, phillyOs119 said:

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2017/06/showalter-on-chance-sisco-and-tanner-scott-game-update.html

Showalter dropped a line about maybe Scott could be a starter if he develops a change-up.  That's the first I've heard starter mentioned, but to be honest, the delivery looks like it would work for longer outings and he does maintain velocity over 3 innings.  The pitch arsenal would need to improve along with continued improvement in command and control. 

Sure, and if pigs had wings they could fly. lol

This has worked well for him but it may be time to put him back in the relief role since the Orioles may need him down the stretch. 

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Sure, and if pigs had wings they could fly. lol

This has worked well for him but it may be time to put him back in the relief role since the Orioles may need him down the stretch. 

You've stayed steadfast with that opinion all along.