Hate to do it but... Dalton Pompey?

interloper

Just now, LTO's said:

Acknowledging that it would in fact be a rush to have him practically skip AAA implies that he should finish the year in AAA given that's almost August already. 

Should is not the same thing as needs.

Instead of giving your opinion that you think he should finish the year in AAA you stated that he needed to stay there.  Implying somehow that his development would suffer.

As stated before it is not exactly uncommon for players to skip AAA or play few games there.  I can't think of any position player that I can look back on and say, not spending more time at AAA really hurt his career.

18 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Acknowledging that it would in fact be a rush to have him practically skip AAA implies that he should finish the year in AAA given that's almost August already. 

Schoop was a starter in MLB at 22, Manny at 19, Markakis at 22. Hays is not as high a prospect as those players, but he's 24, has already spent time in MLB and is doing well in AAA. Unless Elias sees an area where his development is lacking, he should be up. I expect to see him up in August, maybe the first week. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Should is not the same thing as needs.

Instead of giving your opinion that you think he should finish the year in AAA you stated that he needed to stay there.  Implying somehow that his development would suffer.

As stated before it is not exactly uncommon for players to skip AAA or play few games there.  I can't think of any position player that I can look back on and say, not spending more time at AAA really hurt his career.

I agree. 

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If Larry Bigbie and Luis Matos had been given a good, solid, 300 games at Ottawa they would have been huge.  Huge.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd have just said player but I do think more time in the minors would have done Gausman some good. 

My general rule for pitchers is promote them more aggressively than makes sense, just so you get some innings out of them before they lose 3 mph off their fastball and tear a UCL.  I was in favor of letting Matusz come straight to the majors from college. It couldn't really have hurt.

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

My general rule for pitchers is promote them more aggressively than makes sense, just so you get some innings out of them before they lose 3 mph off their fastball and tear a UCL.  I was in favor of letting Matusz come straight to the majors from college. It couldn't really have hurt.

Gausman didn't have a real breaking ball.  Still doesn't probably.  Matusz was a four pitch guy out of college.

3 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Minor League AB/OPS

• Manny 832/.791
  • Schoop 1,813/.744
  • Markakis 1,044/.856
  • Hays 1,170/.852

I think one of the more disappointing things this season is not seeing one of Hays, Diaz or Mountcastle in Baltimore.  Mountcastle makes some sense since he doesn't have a glove or a throwing arm to speak of.  But not having the other two up kinda sucks.  If we get a token look in September, that's not really enough IMO.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think one of the more disappointing things this season is not seeing one of Hays, Diaz or Mountcastle in Baltimore.  Mountcastle makes some sense since he doesn't have a glove or a throwing arm to speak of.  But not having the other two up kinda sucks.  If we get a token look in September, that's not really enough IMO.  

I don't think we'll see Diaz until they expect him to stick. Dude just found his swing in June. I'm fine with seeing him move up to Norfolk in August when Hays comes up and then giving him a shot next season. 

Mountcastle needs to find a position. At 22, give him the time to do that.

Just now, mdbdotcom said:

I don't think we'll see Diaz until they expect him to stick. Dude just found his swing in June. I'm fine with seeing him move up to Norfolk in August when Hays comes up and then giving him a shot next season. 

I don't think we will see Diaz since he isn't on the 40 and hasn't touched AAA.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Agreed.  I would have personally kept all those guys on the roster out of spring training.  Service time games are stupid, you can always try sign guys to cheap extensions early.

Also, I think you can afford to let position players take their lumps at the big league level, especially in non-competitive seasons.

The flip side to that is if Hays and Diaz are in the outfield opening day, Santander probably gets limited chances and he's showing he has some ability.  

2 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Hijacking a thread that's already been hijacked...dude just isn't going to cut it with the glove.  There might be a chance that he does develop some defensive skill but after everything I've read and seen, I wouldn't bet on it.