Roy Firestone Series (vs. ANGELS, 7/28)

OFFNY

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, scOtt said:

What does that make with San Diego? 2 and 2? 2 at Home and 2 out there? That's kinda weird.

It's an interleague thing.   We have the same with the Nats.   Some teams you just play 3, either home or away.   Some teams you go 2-2 and play them both places.   And then some I think you do 3-3.   Not sure how they decide.   I know when we play the NL East we do 3-3 with the Nats, and 2-2 every other year.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

It's an interleague thing.   We have the same with the Nats.   Some teams you just play 3, either home or away.   Some teams you go 2-2 and play them both places.   And then some I think you do 3-3.   Not sure how they decide.   I know when we play the NL East we do 3-3 with the Nats, and 2-2 every other year.

Surprised I never noticed that. I thought we ALWAYS did 3-3 with our "rivals".

They are kind of our rivals now. At least in Court...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• We shall see. Either two things have happened this season that Hyde will be forgiven for. 1) Injuries have limited our chances to win, and he will be given the benefit of the doubt. or 2) Last year was an anomaly, which means that the team is NOT really ready to compete and Hyde will be given time to right the ship. The problem you have is whether or not the execs believe either of these things are true. If they don't... if they believe that this team should be competing for championships... then this year is tough to justify... even with a winning record. Hyde has done a serviceable job getting us here... but if the brass thinks a new voice is needed in the clubhouse... then it might just be time for a change.
    • Looks like Young has been a dramatic reverse splits guy this year: .545 OPS vs lefties, .751 OPS vs righties. Not surprising given the scouting reports that his changeup is his best pitch. Seems that figuring out something better for righties will be the determining factor for how far he goes, whether that’s improving his current cutter/slider, or adding a sinker, or just better utilizing his four seamer / change / curve against righties. 
    • Do you think this team... can win THIS year? Please tell me how. I would LOVE to be surprised... but point to one series post ASB that shows we are going to win... THIS year.
    • After seeing Albert Suarez mysteriously throw less hard as a reliever than a SP, I don’t want to take anything for granted in a SP to RP conversion.  That said, Young is averaging around 93 mph and topping out around 95 mph as a starter. If he can live more around his top velo range as a RP the fastball could definitely be a plus pitch, considering it also clearly has some funky qualities from his delivery that are making it really hard to handle for minor league hitters.  Add in the change and I could easily see him being a very solid RP with 2 plus pitches. But same concern I have for him as a starter - I’m not sure he has a weapon for getting out righties, so he could even be a reverse platoon splits guy. Hard to know at this point. Cano and Domínguez are much weaker against lefties so it wouldn’t hurt to have a righty who is more neutral. Kimbrel is pretty neutral over his career but he looks totally unreliable now. Webb and Smith are better equipped for lefties but I could see Young being better than both of them if his velo ticks up as a RP. 
    • Best records don't win consolation prizes. As I said... last year was an anomaly. Nothing in this team shows me that it can dominate and win.
    • It's the major leagues, they should get a robo ump perfect strike zone. It's stupid that they aren't rewarded for proper decisions. But yea, you have to adjust to that stupidity.
    • Advanced scouting got us and we’re too stubborn to adjust. It’s the “smartest guy in the room” thinking. That’s why all of our prospects struggle when they come up. They think they’re entitled to some robo ump “perfect” strike zone.  Our guys need to adjust. Even if it’s “sub optimal” because this offense is dead in the water with us refusing to change as a team. 
  • Popular Contributors