Chris Davis, 2019

OFFNY

16 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Players have opt outs if they over perform. Teams should have Opts outs if the player seriously under performs 

Just my 2 cents 

You can sign guys to 1 year contracts and you don't have to worry about it.  Players want multi-year contracts so if they end up like Chris Davis they still get paid. 

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

Well, I would say if he is on the roster next year, he will be sitting on the bench even more than he has this year.   So maybe these last 6 weeks can be a way to give him an idea of what that's like.   Might affect his decision making process if he finds he doesn't enjoy sitting 5 or more days per week and becomes less and less a part of the team.

Why would he care?  He is still getting paid.  The bench coach gets paid a heck of a lot less than Chris Davis and he comes to work every day.   I would gladly sit on the bench and get paid 23 million a year.  Trumbo is sitting on the bench as well.   I mean if I were Davis I would rather sit on the bench than play. 

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Why would he care?  He is still getting paid.  The bench coach gets paid a heck of a lot less than Chris Davis and he comes to work every day.   I would gladly sit on the bench and get paid 23 million a year.  Trumbo is sitting on the bench as well.   I mean if I were Davis I would rather sit on the bench than play. 

Pride

5 minutes ago, atomic said:

You can sign guys to 1 year contracts and you don't have to worry about it.  Players want multi-year contracts so if they end up like Chris Davis they still get paid. 

In your scenario you would lose all of your good players to Large Market Teams.

That contract would mean little to the Yankees or Dodgers if they cut Davis. I’m confident if he were with either he’d be home watching on TV.

For the Orioles, Rays, A’s the contract is a killer

11 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Pride

Ridiculous.  You think Chris Davis is going to walk away from $69 million because he has to sit on the bench.  I don't know why you guys keep coming up with this.   If the team wants him gone they can release him.  But he isn't going to quit because he is on the bench everyday.  

10 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

In your scenario you would lose all of your good players to Large Market Teams.

That contract would mean little to the Yankees or Dodgers if they cut Davis. I’m confident if he were with either he’d be home watching on TV.

For the Orioles, Rays, A’s the contract is a killer

Not my scenario. It was your scenario. 

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Ridiculous.  You think Chris Davis is going to walk away from $69 million because he has to sit on the bench.  I don't know why you guys keep coming up with this.   If the team wants him gone they can release him.  But he isn't going to quit because he is on the bench everyday.  

A buyout would be a compromise.

something like 75 cents on the dollar and he can move on with his life.

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Not my scenario. It was your scenario. 

The 1 year contract is your scenario and just dumb. There was no way Davis was staying on a 1 year deal. There was reason to expect some decline but not a total fall off the table like he did. The contract was overdone because Angelos negotiated against himself. Most fans supported him being resigned at the time. Many hate it now.

10 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

The 1 year contract is your scenario and just dumb. There was no way Davis was staying on a 1 year deal. There was reason to expect some decline but not a total fall off the table like he did. The contract was overdone because Angelos negotiated against himself. Most fans supported him being resigned at the time. Many hate it now.

The reason players want multi-year contracts is they get paid even if they perform like Davis has.  You were suggesting they don't get paid if they don't perform.  That is equivalent to a one year contract.  

Really this has gotten so old.  People suggesting Davis should walk-away. He isn't going to do that no matter how many times people suggest it. He hired Boras to get the highest amount of dollars he could possibly get.  He wants the money.  He will get the money.   He isn't settling for 75 percent of the money.  He isn't injured he can happily hit .170 for the next 3 years and collect his huge check.  

Most likely scenario is that Davis is on the team the for next 3 years. 

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

The reason players want multi-year contracts is they get paid even if they perform like Davis has.  You were suggesting they don't get paid if they don't perform.  That is equivalent to a one year contract.  

Really this has gotten so old.  People suggesting Davis should walk-away. He isn't going to do that no matter how many times people suggest it. He hired Boras to get the highest amount of dollars he could possibly get.  He wants the money.  He will get the money.   He isn't settling for 75 percent of the money.  He isn't injured he can happily hit .170 for the next 3 years and collect his huge check.  

Most likely scenario is that Davis is on the team the for next 3 years. 

So he’d spend the next three years on the bench. We aren’t winning so who cares.

i’d see if I can get it to wear on him. But he’d report everyday, dress, practice, and then Rot on the bench. He knows he sucks

23 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

So he’d spend the next three years on the bench. We aren’t winning so who cares.

i’d see if I can get it to wear on him. But he’d report everyday, dress, practice, and then Rot on the bench. He knows he sucks

I think there is zero chance it wears on him.  But I think should just let him sit on the bench the next 3 years so we don't have to watch him play.  I can deal with being a man down if it means no Davis in the line-up.

On 8/20/2019 at 9:36 PM, Roll Tide said:

A buyout would be a compromise.

something like 75 cents on the dollar and he can move on with his life.

How is it a compromise? Davis has 100% of the leverage. Regardless they should still permanently bench him and hope that Davis' ego is big enough that he thinks it "might" be worth a buyout so he can try to latch on with someone else to try to prove himself. 

18 hours ago, atomic said:

I think there is zero chance it wears on him.  But I think should just let him sit on the bench the next 3 years so we don't have to watch him play.  I can deal with being a man down if it means no Davis in the line-up.

It's higher than zero.  The process of traveling generally sucks, even if you're flying charters it's probably not great.  You do it because you have to or there's something cool like a vacation on the other end.  If hauling a suitcase around to hotels and airports, sitting the bench and occasionally getting into a game to strikeout is all that's there after a few years he might decide the $100M he's already earned in his career is enough.