I really want to keep Villar (Update: Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas)

AceKing

6 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Elias has made zero trades since taking over. Including Cashner for a couple of bags of balls. He's done nothing with the international money. He doesnt get credit for Rutschman as anyone couldve made that pick.

Now he's proved he can't get value out of trading our best player

Our "best" player wouldn't even start on any of the contending teams. It's all relative. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I couldn't disagree more. We're not playing for next season, we're playing for the future and Villar isn't part of that future. They tried to trade him and no one bit, which is exactly what I said would happen earlier in the year. It's not worth picking up his contract and running the risk of getting stuck with him if the market doesn't heat up. VIllar is a very flawed player with some baggage and the rest of MLB knows that. 

I disagree.  What is the harm in paying him $10M (or less) and letting him stay for one more year?  We have no middle infield prospects whatsoever, so he would not be blocking anyone.  Worst case scenario, he isn't as good as last year and you have him on your team for a meaningless season.  Best case scenario he plays great and an injury to a contender makes a contender trade for him.

Just now, Frobby said:

I was very wrong, and depressed that I was.    I would have been happy to trade him for something of real value, but if nobody was willing to do that, I’d rather have kept him.    He was an entertaining player IMO and we are less watchable without him.   

I know. I guess 9 million means something. 

2 minutes ago, weams said:

Half the fans a pleased with this direction for the team.

You have done a poll since they put Villar on waivers?

I think the team is headed the right direction, but this is a foolish and short sighted way to go about things.

And it is bad for the sport of baseball.

2 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I disagree.  What is the harm in paying him $10M (or less) and letting him stay for one more year?  We have no middle infield prospects whatsoever, so he would not be blocking anyone.  Worst case scenario, he isn't as good as last year and you have him on your team for a meaningless season.  Best case scenario he plays great and an injury to a contender makes a contender trade for him.

Agree. If you can’t trade him keep him and maybe try again at the deadline and if I thing non tender him next year 

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

The Orioles arent broke and hinting such just weakens your argument

I certainly never said as much.

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Just saying we don''t know how much longer Pete will be around. Not managing he day-to-day operations doesn't mean he is on his deathbed. 

He knew and we all knew that he went all in from 2016-2018, and that it would be his last window of contention unless he was somehow alive in 4 or 5 years but likely not still part of the picture.

13 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

It is a process that needs to be gone through in the case of Jonathan Villar. 

He was to get North of $10 Million in arbitration. 

He was shopped to all 29 Teams with No Takers. 

He MAY have been offered a two/three year deal and turned it down which put the writing on the wall as to the intent of Villar's agent.

He now will be Non-Tendered after making it through waivers which will allow him to become a Free Agent.

The Orioles can still sign him to a contract once he declares Free Agency but only if willing to play for what the Orioles offer.  The Orioles will not be obligated to pay him $10 Million plus  in a free agent year.

He wasn’t going to get $10 mm, regardless of what MLBTR projected.    

4 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Just an fyi: Villar wasn't "DFA'ed." He was just put on waivers to see if another team will take his contract. If not, he is still with the Orioles until they decide to non-tender him or trade him before the deadline. 

He is off the roster. He can not be returned to it.