I really want to keep Villar (Update: Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas)

AceKing

Ok, I've got a better understanding. All teams had to be given the opportunity to claim him. This is part of the process to strip Villar of his arbitration rights. After 72 hours he can simply be released. And then he becomes a FA able to negotiate with all. 

25 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

This is the first move by Elias that I flat out disagree with.  Keeping a sunk cost like Davis and dumping a useful player over $7-10 million in today’s baseball dollars is sick,

I don’t like this move, but the Davis thing has nothing to do with it.   We’ve got to pay him either way.   We don’t have to pay Villar.    

5 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Now that Weams and I cleared that up...

I hate this move.

Make this move during the season and get something back. Don't have a "Black Friday" sale on a player you are pretty much telling the league "you don't have to give us anything because he will be a free agent soon, but if you want to toss us a random guy, please do."

You don't think they tried shopping him before this past trade deadline? There isn't/wasn't a trade market for Villar. We all need to accept that fact.

• Upvote 1

Just now, weams said:

Ok, I've got a better understanding. All teams had to be given the opportunity to claim him. This is part of the process to strip Villar of his arbitration rights. After 72 hours he can simply be released. And then he becomes a FA able to negotiate with all. 

As Luke stated, if he is claimed by more than one club he can be traded. For something extremely minor. 

12 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

How many times do we have to go down this road? If VIllar doesn't have trade value now he never will. 

He has no value now because of his salary, if you wait until July you are only paying for the last two months and at that point they could eat the salary in a deal. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

You don't think they tried shopping him before this past trade deadline? There isn't/wasn't a trade market for Villar. We all need to accept that fact.

Or the fact is, Elias can say there wasn't a trade market because he didn't get the deal he wanted because he had a high asking price.