I really want to keep Villar (Update: Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas)

AceKing

10 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

He's not. Tre Mancini is. And even if he was that makes him the best player on the worst team in baseball. We've had this discussion before and I've looked at the rosters. He isn't even good enough to start for most of the teams that will be contending next season. 

Mancini can't even play in the field.  How is he the best? 

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If he's such a good player then why did the Brewers basically give him away? 

They were swapping him basically for Schoop for the post season, plus Villar was trending down. He had a very good season this year. Take advantage of it. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think he was asking a lot.

I think he was asking for something high enough that other teams didn't want to budge on. Getting even an AA pitcher and fielder would have been good. 

2 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

Do you honestly fault Elias for Villar not being traded? I mean, instead of the idea that other teams aren't willing to give value for him?

The information we have states that the Orioles tried to trade Villar at the deadline but weren't satisfied with the return. Not that nobody offered anything.

So they could have gotten something. And instead they got nothing. 

So yeah, I think it is fair to fault Elias.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I think he was asking for something high enough that other teams didn't want to budge on. Getting even an AA pitcher and fielder would have been good. 

Well now we have a deadline to see what teams will offer.

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

What did he do?

Flawed? No the Orioles are cheap! Roch said that he wasn't traded at the deadline as he didnt get an acceptable offer. Now he loses him for nothing.

Flawed ....He had one bad year and three between 2-4.

What has Elias done? What did he do with the international money? Cashner for scraps....He's only good at getting AAAA players off waivers from the 1st or 2nd position

I suspected for quite awhile that there were clubhouse issues with Villar when he was in Milwaukee. He's also an atrocious defender and below average base runner. The only scenario he would thrive in is if he played for a team that had nothing to lose and let him do whatever he wanted for a full season. That's exactly what happened last season. It certainly wouldn't happen on a good team. And Andrew Cashner is one of the worst pitchers in baseball. I'm amazed that anyone gave us anything for him. 

Elias inherited just about nothing in terms of viable trade pieces. The team made the decision to let a GM they had know intention of retaining trade Schoop and Gausman. Those pieces should have been left for Elias to deal with. 

Just now, MurphDogg said:

The information we have states that the Orioles tried to trade Villar at the deadline but weren't satisfied with the return. Not that nobody offered anything.

And you can conclude that having no idea what, if anything was offered at the deadline?

And you know he won't be traded between now and Monday night?

Just now, MurphDogg said:

I think if he was offered two 17 year old Dominicans I won't fault him for holding onto him in hopes of getting a better deal in the offseason.

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Criticism of moving Villar is fine, but don’t sight fan reaction as justification. 

Why not?  That is why we keep him.  To give fans someone to root for.  To have some players that are above Triple A quality.   We are going to be losers either way but at least it might be fun to watch some of our players play.