So, Mr. Elias Held Firm.

AceKing

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d completely forgotten that the Mets were in the 2015 World Series.    Kind of fluky, but it shows what can happen when a couple of young starting pitching prospects max out on their projections and a few other things go your way.   Didn’t last long, though.   

You still have to run things properly...

The Orioles have a long road in front of them.  It wasn't necessarily helped or hurt by not making any moves yesterday.  I agree with your earlier post that we need to allow time to have this rebuild in a position to judge.  Being critical now, likely misses the bigger picture.  But by the same token, impatience and wanting results now, makes many want to do just that.  On the other hand, patience by Oriole fans has been abused before.  I get it and understand those that have little patience.  I don't get those who declare Elias a failure and believe doing so at this point is silly. 

I think we have to muster the courage to have faith that Elias is the right hire for the job.  And more importantly, we have to trust/hope that the Angelosons are going to let him run it...or sell it to someone who will.  To me, anything else is accepting long term failure.  Is that possible, sure.  I just can't get behind that.  To win a World Series, the Orioles will need an incredible amount of things to go right.  From player acquisitions, to development, to deciding which players to extend and which ones to move.  That's just for one shot.  To return to a level of long term success seems to require the course we are on and it will require the construction of an apparatus that is miles behind it's competitive base in both function and in money.  I choose to get behind that and doing so means it's gonna take some time before we can be in a position to pass judgement.

But hey?  How bout that winning month?  Been awhile.  I know it's not much, but it has to start somewhere.  It's ugly at the bottom.

9 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Switching all of the minors would costaround $35,000 per full-season club and $17,500 per short-season club. So moving just full season teams to MLB balls could cost an estimated $4.2 million.Apr 3, 2019

Is that expensive? 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Do you think that in, say, 5 years if the Os are somehow in the Astros position, that they'd actually make a Greinke-like trade? You like to think so but it being the Orioles it's almost impossible to fathom. 

We made our Grienke like trade. Andrew Miller. Also, we could’ve pulled the trigger on Lester for Hunter Harvey. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We made our Grienke like trade. Andrew Miller. Also, we could’ve pulled the trigger on Lester for Hunter Harvey. 

If only we traded Bundy and Harvey when they were hot commodities.  Problem wasn't that we traded prospects away.  Problem is we traded the wrong guys. 

12 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Switching all of the minors would costaround $35,000 per full-season club and $17,500 per short-season club. So moving just full season teams to MLB balls could cost an estimated $4.2 million.Apr 3, 2019

Wait, doesn't MLB own the company that makes the balls?  If so why would it cost that much.  What makes the MLB balls that much more expensive.  They are probably quoting retail prices.  

On 8/1/2019 at 10:23 PM, atomic said:

If only we traded Bundy and Harvey when they were hot commodities.  Problem wasn't that we traded prospects away.  Problem is we traded the wrong guys. 

Bundy’s injuries were a franchise-altering event.   He was the ace we needed, coming along exactly at the time we actually had an excellent group of position players and a great bullpen.    Then poof.

On 8/1/2019 at 6:01 PM, interloper said:

Do you think that in, say, 5 years if the Os are somehow in the Astros position, that they'd actually make a Greinke-like trade? You like to think so but it being the Orioles it's almost impossible to fathom. 

Astros would not have done it either except likely that Cole is going to walk after this year.   And the reality is, having all the aces on your staff still doesn’t mean you win the Series.  Heck, we had nowhere near  a Verlander or a Cole or  a Grienke less than 5 years ago and came this close to the Series. 

23 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Astros would not have done it either except likely that Cole is going to walk after this year.   And the reality is, having all the aces on your staff still doesn’t mean you win the Series.  Heck, we had nowhere near  a Verlander or a Cole or  a Grienke less than 5 years ago and came this close to the Series. 

We beat Scherzer, Verlander and Price in the playoff series with the Tigers.    (By which I mean, we beat the Tigers on days those pitchers started against us.    Only Scherzer took a loss.)

Still, I’d rather have an ace than not.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Bundy’s injuries were a franchise-altering event.   He was the ace we needed, coming along exactly at the time we actually had an excellent group of position players and a great bullpen.    Then poof.

Same injuries that seem to happen to every guy throwing mega heat out of high school.

54 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We beat Scherzer, Verlander and Price in the playoff series with the Tigers.    (By which I mean, we beat the Tigers on days those pitchers started against us.    Only Scherzer took a loss.)

Still, I’d rather have an ace than not.  

Aces certainly can help win  but it is sort of  like saying only a hurricane can make the rivers rise...aces are just not a requirement for winning.   And as those same Tigers showed....their Achilles heel was their awful bullpen...starters are great, but, in today’s game, if you do not have a shutdown pen, you still lose. 

15 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Aces certainly can help win  but it is sort of  like saying only a hurricane can make the rivers rise...aces are just not a requirement for winning.   And as those same Tigers showed....their Achilles heel was their awful bullpen...starters are great, but, in today’s game, if you do not have a shutdown pen, you still lose. 

All praise be upon Delmon Young.

• Upvote 1