Baltimore and Maryland Sports Fandom

Greg Pappas

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

O's and Redskins.  

To me, most Ravens fans are just butthurt ex Redskins fans that hate Snyder.  Which is funny, cause they root for a team owned by Angelos.  Some are diehard old Colts fans, that's understandable.

Terps football fans have always been funny.  I don't know of a single fanbase around here that tries so hard to think their team is relevant.  Even Skins fans can't do it as good as Terps fans.

It is a unique experience to be able to celebrate the fandom of teams owned by Angelos and Snyder.

• Upvote 1

It's funny, but I have never considered the Redskins a Maryland team, yet they do play in the state. I was born and raised in Baltimore and grew up learning about D.C. as the hub of government for our country, almost a separate entity from the rest of the cities and states that surrounded it. Kind of like Vatican City. Yet D.C. is like any other city in regards to culture and fandom. There certainly was this feeling of dislike among the fans (and sometimes just people in general) of the two cities, and the Bullets moving to D.C. didn't help with that-- at all.  More recently the Nationals have taken a strong foothold in a territory that had been exclusively Baltimore's. 

When folks talk about Baltimoreans having an inferiority complex, I think there's some truth to that... a bit of the ol' big brother/little brother relationship. As a Baltimorean and big brother, that concept seems annoys me. LOL!  I've never been a fan of any of the D.C. teams, yet find it kind of cool that so many people like the Redskins and Orioles, and have no issue being fans of two rival cities' teams (even if those teams are in different sports.) 

I like the Orioles and baseball almost exclusively. I have some interest in the British Premier League and follow it casually. I don’t like getting up early. I don’t really follow any other sports.

The NFL has too little game action and too many commercials. I love daily fantasy football but don’t watch games or have a team I follow. 

That’s it for me.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

What are the chances that the two worst owners in their respective sports would be separated by 45 miles?  It could only happen here.

Snyder outbid Angelos for the Redskins, so they were screwed either way.

Orioles majority owner Peter Angelos said yesterday he will consider bidding for the Washington Redskins again but wouldn't be likely to match the $800 million offer that won the first round of bidding.

Angelos, who said he dropped out of the first round at $625 million, said that an $800 million bid would leave the club strapped for cash once the debt service was paid on the team each year.

Baltimore Sun, April 13, 1999 https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1999-04-13-9904130006-story.html

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

I've never been a fan of any of the D.C. teams, yet find it kind of cool that so many people like the Redskins and Orioles, and have no issue being fans of two rival cities' teams (even if those teams are in different sports.) 

Speaking of this, I noticed it’s been a couple of months since we’ve seen a post from Redskins Rick, who posted here almost daily for years.   I don’t think there was any incident on the board that would have caused him to stop posting or get suspended, so I’m hoping that he hasn’t encountered some serious health problem (or worse).  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

O's, Ravens, UMD - before the Big 10 switcheroo, Penguins.

I've never liked the DC teams, mainly because once the Colts left the Skins were on TV despite better national games every week.  Turned toward the Pens in the late-80's, but the kids picked them 5 years ago as our home team as I tried to get them interested in sports other than just baseball and football.  Completely ruled out Caps as a choice in that vote, referring to them as chokers. :)  You can thank me for jinxing myself and propelling them into a Stanley Cup.

NBA is unwatchable, imo.  They have outdone themselves by playing less and less defense each year.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Snyder outbid Angelos for the Redskins, so they were screwed either way.

Baltimore Sun, April 13, 1999 https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1999-04-13-9904130006-story.html

Yikes.  

Well, I dunno.  Without a salary cap, Snyder could have been a better baseball owner than a football owner.  

15 minutes ago, Smilin' Joe Fission said:

Orioles and VCU Rams

I became a Cowboys fan when I was 5 in the late 80s, but haven't really followed the NFL in years.  I would keep up with the Ravens as an AFC team because of my love for the O's and the City.

Yeah. I also was a Cowboys fan, but only as a small child. I use the term 'fan' loosely, as I didn't even really watch football as a young kid... too busy playing outside with my friends every day. :)

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Orioles, Valencia CF, and any College/NBA team that has a DeMatha player on it.  

o

Power Memorial High School (led by Lew Alcindor) vs. Dematha, from 1965.

@  University of Maryland Cole Field House.

o