Please Retire, Chris Davis

AceKing

16 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

That's injury related. That's different, IMO.  He should have gone for an injury settlement.

o

The Colts are opting to pay Luck's salary/bonus money owed to him.

Colts Won't Recoup Money from Luck

(By Adam Schefter)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27460243/sources-colts-recoup-money-luck

o

Despite the fact that they could have recouped $24.8 million from their former quarterback, the Indianapolis Colts have reached a financial settlement with Andrew Luck and will not take back any of the money they are owed, league sources told ESPN.

The Colts essentially are telling Luck to keep it all, even though it is within their rights to reclaim the money.

o

10 hours ago, now said:

Sorry, just can't restrain the editor in me responding, "borderline? What borderline? Even Mario Mendoza is nowhere in sight!" ;)

Yes his stats are abysmal.  But I would make the case on an AB-per-AB basis, it doesn't look much worse than your average MLB'er.  And his defense is OK.  I remember when Adam Jones would almost always bite on a breaking ball in a dirt for strike 3.   That was also frequently embarassing.  But he made up for it in other ways. 

It would be like an NFL RB who averages around 3/yards a carry.   Or maybe a WR who can't get open, but has OK hands.    Pathetic of course, but its not like you can point to any specific play and say that  player doesn't in the league.  They just don't produce. 

38 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(By Adam Schefter)

o

Despite the fact that they could have recouped $24.8 million from their former quarterback, the Indianapolis Colts have reached a financial settlement with Andrew Luck and will not take back any of the money they are owed, league sources told ESPN.

The Colts essentially are telling Luck to keep it all, even though it is within their rights to reclaim the money.

o

40 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(By Adam Schefter)

o

o

That's generous of the Colts.  But simply announcing he was retiring doesn't really mean he'd be relinquishing all the money.  Who knows the extent of the ankle injury and whether the neck/back/shoulder was completely healed and perhaps the Colts motive is just to move on without having to negotiate.  I forget which combination of injuries it was previously.  Yet the point is not lost on me that Luck was willing to walk away.  He, and I'm sure there are others, realize they'll be living pretty well off of what they have already earned if they take care of it.  Bravo.

I've been consistent with saying this is more an issue that the Anelosii need to take care of.  And for me, because it's not MY money, I've been more worried about the impact on the team dynamic than about either negotiating a settlement or merely letting him go.   It's simply bad optics to have the highest paid player being the worst or nearly worst daily performer on the team of youngsters trying to earn a spot. 

Yet, I find myself more of the Andrew Luck mind frame.  I can't imagine going out on the field each night and being terrible in 9/10 games.  So he clearly has a thicker skin than I.  I would have made my exit last year.  But the point is still, that he can't be forced to walk away and that the Angelosii are limited in their options.  Neither of the two is very appealing money-wise... obviously.

1 hour ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Yes his stats are abysmal.  But I would make the case on an AB-per-AB basis, it doesn't look much worse than your average MLB'er.  And his defense is OK.  I remember when Adam Jones would almost always bite on a breaking ball in a dirt for strike 3.   That was also frequently embarassing.  But he made up for it in other ways. 

It would be like an NFL RB who averages around 3/yards a carry.   Or maybe a WR who can't get open, but has OK hands.    Pathetic of course, but its not like you can point to any specific play and say that  player doesn't in the league.  They just don't produce. 

Fair enough, that perception counts... But when I can bear to watch CD's ABs, it's rare that they aren't cringeworthy. Let's face it, he's in a class by himself.

59 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I'm not convinced he will stay retired.

Apart of me feels this way too. But if he’s saying he don’t love the game anymore and the grind of it and the rehab he really might stay away. I don’t think this was a random decision. I think this was thought out. 

3 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

And your case would be totally without merit.  I could make a much stronger case that the Davis offensive performance over the last two years is the worst in baseball history and on an “AB by AB basis” he is the worst offensive player in MLB and no one is close to second.  He would have been released a year ago save for his contract but he is not a major league performer any longer. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Ask Coolbaugh how hard he works.

If he doesn’t reasonably work on performance improvement, then if I were the team I would make the case to discipline and/or suspend him and obviate his deal.  The team should require exactly what it wants to see him to do and if not, then discipline him accordingly.  And if it made him miserable or hacked off, at this point, all the better.  

20 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Why? He’s made 97 million. As for CD I wish he would retire. He got millions already.

I think we all wish he'd retire, that's not really the issue.  But as long as the money tree exists in his backyard that the Angelosii planted, why shouldn't he continue to harvest from it?  If he can stomach being terrible and not living up to the expectation of the contract he was given, who are we to question him?

You can make whatever arguments you'd like about him being shameless as I and others have on the thousand threads running here... but he doesn't seem to be in any hurry to admit he's terrible and move-on on his own... And nor should he feel obligated to.  It was the Angelosii that said, "Here, take this money to stay an Oriole, Chris."  ...and when there were exactly NO other suitors.

He's merely saying each day, "Ok." 

This is not a Chris Davis issue.  It's an issue of the last remnants of everything that was wrong with our O's under the regime up to when Elias was hired.  If they don't have the balls to move on from the bad contract THEY initiated - for whatever reason, fidelity to CD, personal like of him... who cares.  They continue to look like morons everyday he's on the team.  The ball is in their court.

I won't even get into how this casts shade on whether they have REALLY given the reigns to Elias or not.  But everyday CD remains on the team and the guys who hired him do nothing about it, it makes me wonder if anything has really changed or whether it's just a white-wash.

Edited by drjohnnyfeva

12 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

I think what the guy is trying to say is that screw the guy and his fantasy team and that AL sould enjoy retirement.  I agree. 

But this is not really relevant to the CD situation other than to point out that some people walk away from a paycheck just to be done...

Edited by drjohnnyfeva