Austin Hays called up

Luke-OH

6 minutes ago, weams said:

Oh. I don't think that is anywhere close to possible. He might be a Mauer. And that's a HOF career. 

This is probably a debate that's better reserved for the MLB board, but I don't think Mauer a slam dunk HOFer. Especially when you consider he only caught 100 games five times in his career so he really should be compared to other HOF first basemen and designated hitters as much as he is the catchers. For context, I'm a supporter of less is more when it come to HOF inductions and I didn't believe Edgar Martinez was worthy so I might be in the minority. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

This is probably a debate that's better reserved for the MLB board, but I don't think Mauer a slam dunk HOFer. Especially when you consider he only caught 100 games five times in his career so he really should be compared to other HOF first basemen and designated hitters as much as he is the catchers. For context, I'm a supporter of less is more when it come to HOF inductions and I didn't believe Edgar Martinez was worthy so I might be in the minority. 

#BetterThanBaines

8 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Mauer will make it if Jeter does. 

9 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

But if Jeter gets in Edgar must be in. 

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm interested to see if Elias shuts him down before he reaches the cutoff.  I would hope something like that wouldn't be a concern. 

Since money isn't involved, I'd actually let Hays decide if I were Elias. It would be a good will gesture. There's nothing he gets from another game or two of ABs at this point.

51 minutes ago, weams said:

Adam Jones was great. Schoop was good. Hays may never be either of them. Stay healthy, he'll do ok. 

Adam Jones' best OPS ever was .839. For reference, Mancini is at .888 right now. Yeah, I know, but he played CF. Well, his best dWAR was 1.0. 

Jones is an O's HOFer. I'm not arguing that. He wasn't "great" though, IMO. He was very good, but not a cut above.

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

Since money isn't involved, I'd actually let Hays decide if I were Elias. It would be a good will gesture. There's nothing he gets from another game or two of ABs at this point.

Adam Jones' best OPS ever was .839. For reference, Mancini is at .888 right now. Yeah, I know, but he played CF. Well, his best dWAR was 1.0. 

Jones is an O's HOFer. I'm not arguing that. He wasn't "great" though, IMO. He was very good, but not a cut above.

And then he rose to point his finger upwards "But you know I think those outfield defense stats are crap." And he sat down. 

4 minutes ago, weams said:

And then he rose to point his finger upwards "But you know I think those outfield defense stats are crap." And he sat down. 

I don't love the defensive metrics either, but he didn't even pass the OF eye test from my perspective. Good, inaccurate arm. Rarely made rangy catches. You're seeing as much in a week from Hays than we saw from Jones. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I don't love the defensive metrics either, but he didn't even pass the OF eye test from my perspective. Good, inaccurate arm. Rarely made rangy catches. You're seeing as much in a week from Hays than we saw from Jones. 

He was fine with stiffs around him for so many of those seasons. Fine. Not bad. He's Capt10America.

3 minutes ago, weams said:

He was fine with stiffs around him for so many of those seasons. Fine. Not bad. He's Capt10America.

No argument here. Just take issue with "great." But whatever. This debate has been had before. Hopefully Hays can settle into a healthy mid .800's guy with OF range. That would be a terrific outcome for a guy who has had so many setbacks the last couple of years.

17 hours ago, wildcard said:

Diaz never played at Aberdeen.

Lol - I watched the Ironbirds play three games at Staten Island with Diaz playing.  Diaz gave my son his broken bat with Diaz's name on it.  My son picked up multiple autographs from Diaz and I actually spoke to him for a minute or two.  I am curious as to your frame of reference that Diaz did not play with Aberdeen this year …..

Don't you think you could spend 20 seconds at milb.com before trying to discredit or (erroneously) correct someone else's post?