Austin Hays called up

Luke-OH

2 hours ago, hoosiers said:

Lol - I watched the Ironbirds play three games at Staten Island with Diaz playing.  Diaz gave my son his broken bat with Diaz's name on it.  My son picked up multiple autographs from Diaz and I actually spoke to him for a minute or two.  I am curious as to your frame of reference that Diaz did not play with Aberdeen this year …..

Don't you think you could spend 20 seconds at milb.com before trying to discredit or (erroneously) correct someone else's post?

Sorry.   I did look but I missed it  before  I posted it.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

My post was about Grich not being in.

Also hits as HoF criteria is dumb.

We love Grich as he is one of our guys, and we feel he gets screwed.

Even Bobby admitted its a long shot for him, because of his offensive production. HOF doesnt care about defense and how many run scored you stopped, etc.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

My post was about Grich not being in.

Also hits as HoF criteria is dumb.

Maybe, if it's like 2,000. Not at 6th all time. Oh, he has OBP too. And games played. And OPS. 

Dude was a great player and a winner on great teams. Made iconic plays. Has huge hits. Checks every box.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Never is a long time.    Manny was arguably better than Eddie with defense factored in.    He just didn’t stick around.    I expect to live long enough to see at least part of the career of our next Hall of Famer, whoever that turns out to be.    

It's possible that you have already....Manny has a long way to go, but...

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Per Baseball Savant, there have been 89 5-star catches made this year, and Hays’ wasn’t one of them.   I mean, it was a terrific catch, but I think if I looked I’d find some better ones.    But catches above the wall are always fun.   

Baseball savant does not take the difficulty of the wall into their evaluations for the stars levels. That ball at that distance and hang time is typically caught without much of a problem because in most stadiums that ball is on the warning track or grass.

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’d be surprised if there were.   He’s not a big name yet, and his method of success is not as exciting to fans’ imagination than a guy who strikes out a ton of hitters.   But if he were to be successful a couple years in a row, there might be a bump.    I know I’d rather see a game where the team has a decent chance of winning because the pitcher is competitive.

Factors affecting attendance, at a particular game, in order of precedence, IMO)

1)  Overall season tickets sold (this provides the base attendance for all games in a season)

2)  Premium opponent or not (NYY, Bos, Wash etc)

3)  Team having a 1989 style historic level turnaround to generate unprecedented in-season ticket purchases

4) Weekend vs weeknight

5) Giveaway -- is there one, how "good" is it

6) Summer months vs April/May/Sept

7) How good a season is the team playing and how hot/cold are they recently (but not a historic 1989 style turnaround) -- a good but not historic turnaround season will add a couple thousand per game but you are still pretty much defined by how many season tickets you sold.   A good season will help NEXT year's season ticket total a lot though.

8 ) Opponent quality/draw (excluding premium opponents)

9) Tonight's starting pitcher

It's way down on the line.   I doubt it adds more than a few hundred to have Means going rather than Wojo.   I'll bet over half the fans show up at the park not knowing before they set foot in the stadium who is starting tonight.

• Upvote 2