O's Dilemma with Villar

wildcard

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think anyone who will still be an asset in 2022 is cheap enough that they can hold onto them for now.

I'll disagree with you on your Yankee point.  I wouldn't trade AR for Jasson Dominguez.  Huge ceiling of course but the bust potential of any 16 year old is too great.

Yeah but was Jasson all they signed?  They’ll just do the same next int’l period too. It’s jusr real hard in this division. Look at TB. Even with the #1 pick last year we likely just kept pace with teams in the division in terms of amateur talent acquisition. 

But maybe we shouldn’t trade Villar. ?

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Yeah but was Jasson all they signed?  They’ll just do the same next int’l period too. It’s jusr real hard in this division. Look at TB. Even with the #1 pick last year we likely just kept pace with teams in the division in terms of amateur talent acquisition. 

But maybe we shouldn’t trade Villar. ?

He signed for 5M and their allotted pool was $5,398,300.

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

What the heck are you talking about?

Brainwashed?

Are you familiar with my overly extensive posting history?

I am quite sure that the O's were profitable, very profitable, in 2019.

I am sure they could spend more on the 2020 team and still be profitable.

I am also sure that the owners have expectations when it comes to a return on their investment.

Just because the team produces a certain amount of income does not mean that they can then, in turn, spend that income.

I think the Orioles and MASN are the chief source of income for the Angelos family.

Why is the budget so limited? I've read a lot of your posts over the years. I just don't get the talk about the money being limited.

The Peter Angelos family has made absurd amounts of money on Tobacco and Asbestos. So I really doubt they need to be sucking revenues from the Orioles. But I can't confirm or deny if John and Louis are drawing salaries from   The team or RSN. But even if they are drawing $5 million each it still hardly makes a dent in my opinion.

45 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Why is the budget so limited? I've read a lot of your posts over the years. I just don't get the talk about the money being limited.

The Peter Angelos family has made absurd amounts of money on Tobacco and Asbestos. So I really doubt they need to be sucking revenues from the Orioles. But I can't confirm or deny if John and Louis are drawing salaries from   The team or RSN. But even if they are drawing $5 million each it still hardly makes a dent in my opinion.

I don't know why, I'm  just looking at what they are doing.  Is the law firm doing well?  How many charitable acts are they committing?  Candidates they are supporting?

8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He signed for 5M and their allotted pool was $5,398,300.

They spent $18.1 million in the Dominican in 2014. Yeah, so in 2015 the most they could sign any single player to was $300k. Aka the biggest bonus the O’s give out during any signing period. 

To put $18.1 million into perspective that’s pretty much two entire draft pool’s worth of money. Plus they’re getting the ultimate bang for their buck because they’re spending it on 16yo versus 18-21yo. So a much higher ceiling. These kids are scouted way more than most HS and NCAA players.  The darn island is only so big, and the DR is only half of that.  There’s only so many places to travel to scout.

As laughable the talent gap was on the field this year between the Yanks and O’s, it’s even more laughable when looking at amateur talent acquisition and development. Elias has a huge job on his hands. 

There’s two slam dunks this offseason... Trade Villar(bring this puppy back to the OP) and spend the remaining $2.5 million of int’l bonus slot money. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know why, I'm  just looking at what they are doing.  Is the law firm doing well?  How many charitable acts are they committing?  Candidates they are supporting?

Well they gave 200M to two guys who where supposedly sluggers who quickly became non sluggers, and 57M to a picther who spends most of his time on the IL. Is that considered charity?

13 hours ago, Natty said:

We should keep Villar. Pay him the 7M or so that arbitration rules. Unless we can get another second baseman with a 4.0 WAR that bats .274 with 24 HR, 33 2B, scores 111 R, and steals 40 bases. Just play him at second not short.

I think he should be dealt if you can get value.

as I mentioned earlier... 1 in somebody’s top 10, 1 in their 20-30, and some filler seems fair.

Lock him up first if need be. I see no reason why Villar wouldn’t jump all over a 3 year 18ish million deal with perhaps a 4th year option.

i think it’s safe to assume you can get 1.5-2.0 WAR average at minimum. If you get 3. O+ in years 1 & 2 the contract is a slam dunk.

I think he would take the contract Security due to the fact that he’s way under rated.

• 2 weeks later...

We’re going to get a return for him. That’s a W right there. Just like Cashner. The fact that Villar played well enough for us to get anything for him is a W. That’s how you have to look at it. It would be like if by some Christmas miracle Cobb makes himself tradeable over the next 1.5 years, that would be a W. 

Incremental improvements for the future. It’s not sexy, but it’s reality. 

• Upvote 1