Outfield 2020... Who ya got?

Greg Pappas

LF:  Mountcastle (Dwight Smith, Jr may start the season here)
CF:  Hays
RF:  Santander
4th OF:  Smith, Jr... maybe? Ugh  

IMHO, DJ Stewart, barring notable defensive improvement, should not see the outfield.

Mountcastle (someone needs a nickname :P ... 'Mount' maybe? ) will likely see time at 1B as well.

Our choices at this juncture seem quite limited.  However if Hays and Santander continue to perform well, and Mountcastle can be decent defensively while hitting enough to justify his spot, then this OF may be pretty solid.  

Thoughts?

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think Stewart is worse than Smith in the outfield.

Way too early to give up on Stewart in the OF.    His reviews in the minors weren’t bad.    Honestly, he made 2-3 bad plays that were high profile (especially getting conked on the head) but I didn’t see tons of bad defense from him. I’d give him another shot out there next year.   

• Upvote 2

Again, I think it is too early to speculate because we don’t know what kind of personnel we are going to have in March. Austin Hayes Will be somewhere, and Santander will be somewhere.

Mancini, Smith and Stewart offer lousy defense(Smith and Stewart have options, So that eases the crunch.) Mountcastle is still looking for a defensive home, and it may be left field, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he will be good.

We have to talk about something over the long lonely winter months,  but it’s too early to be talking about this stuff. Too many variables.

3 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

IMHO, DJ Stewart, barring notable defensive improvement, should not see the outfield.

Mountcastle (someone needs a nickname :P ... 'Mount' maybe? ) will likely see time at 1B as well.

Our choices at this juncture seem quite limited.  However if Hays and Santander continue to perform well, and Mountcastle can be decent defensively while hitting enough to justify his spot, then this OF may be pretty solid.  

Thoughts?

Stewart, Hays, Santander to start the season. Wilkerson or an upgrade in reserve.

Mancini will still see some time in the OF unless Davis departs. ? Mountcastle to be brought up and worked in during the season, depending on how Stewart and Santander look (and how the 1B/DH situation develops).

Nicknames:

"Spinner" Stewart
            "Purple" Haze
            "Dragon" Santander
            Mountcastle = "The Cannon"

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Thoughts?

I've been hoping for Lord Mountcastle since they drafted him.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Smith is awful as well... hence the Ugh in the OP. :P
Naturally, we could see an addition to the outfield picture over the course of the off-season, so there isn't any certainty at this juncture. Yet, I enjoy 'too early to be talking about...' stuff. 

I could see them letting go of Smith. They may want his 40 man spot. If Davis is here on OD, Mancini has to play somewhere. No reason Stewart can’t play LF on a bad team. Hays CF, Santander in RF.  

I would be shocked if Mountcastle starts on Opening Day.