Outfield 2020... Who ya got?

Greg Pappas

On 10/8/2019 at 4:43 PM, Greg Pappas said:

LF:  Mountcastle (Dwight Smith, Jr may start the season here)
CF:  Hays
RF:  Santander
4th OF:  Smith, Jr... maybe? Ugh  

IMHO, DJ Stewart, barring notable defensive improvement, should not see the outfield.

Mountcastle (someone needs a nickname :P ... 'Mount' maybe? ) will likely see time at 1B as well.

Our choices at this juncture seem quite limited.  However if Hays and Santander continue to perform well, and Mountcastle can be decent defensively while hitting enough to justify his spot, then this OF may be pretty solid.  

Thoughts?

Two suggestions: the Mounty or the rook.

• Upvote 1

On 10/12/2019 at 12:50 PM, orioles22 said:

Then extend him when it's time. I don't think he will cost as much as Manny.

I'd like to see Mountcastle in left, Mancini at first and Nunez at DH with Stewart in Norfolk or somewhere else.

This is about where I am as well.   Another possibility is Mountcastle and Mancini split time 1B and DH, with Stewart getting one more shot in LF and Nunez getting a shot at 3B.  There are questions about whether Mountcastle has the arm even for LF.  

If it comes down to Nunez or Mountcastle at DH, I'd rather see Mountcastle.   More upside with the bat.  

On 10/14/2019 at 8:41 PM, weams said:

No there aren't.  There are questions if he can play left field adequately at the MLB level. 

Just because Mancini made himself playable in the OF doesn’t mean Mountcastle can. Just because Schoop was a big 2B doesn’t mean Mountcastle can. Especially at 2B. There’s no point in not trying Mountcastle in LF in 2020, but that’s going to be the excuse to keep him down in 2020. To work on his defense. 

I think Mountcastle is in AAA to work on his LF defense for the full service clock game, so June 1st.  That allows us to sort through Smith, Stewart, and Davis DFA. 

9 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Just because Mancini made himself playable in the OF doesn’t mean Mountcastle can. Just because Schoop was a big 2B doesn’t mean Mountcastle can. Especially at 2B. There’s no point in not trying Mountcastle in LF in 2020, but that’s going to be the excuse to keep him down in 2020. To work on his defense. 

I think Mountcastle is in AAA to work on his LF defense for the full service clock game, so June 1st.  That allows us to sort through Smith, Stewart, and Davis DFA. 

JMO but I think the O's will want to see Mountcastle in the  majors soon after April 9th more than Smith or even Stewart.    He has a higher ceiling. The O's will find a way to get his bat in the lineup.

On 10/17/2019 at 12:12 PM, Ruzious said:

Batman - at least if he's the DH. 

I hope they consider Diaz in the MLB lineup if he has an impressive Spring. 

I think he gets a full year of AAA. Maybe a sept callup. Right now for OD it’s looking like,

LF : Smith

CF: Hays

RF: Santander

We’ll see if the Stewart injury gives Mason Williams a shot. I just don’t know if we keep him on the 40 man all offseason just to be a 4th OF/LF platoon type. We could probably get a non roster invitee that fits the same role and won’t cost a 40 man spot all offseason. IMO I think we DFA Williams.  That 40 man spot is just too valuable.

I think we’re going to play it really conservatively before we just up and DFA guys. It’s not exciting, but there’s also no point in rushing anyone. Meaning Smith and Stewart will get long looks before we would let them go. 

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think he gets a full year of AAA. Maybe a sept callup. Right now for OD it’s looking like,

LF : Smith

CF: Hays

RF: Santander

We’ll see if the Stewart injury gives Mason Williams a shot. I just don’t know if we keep him on the 40 man all offseason just to be a 4th OF/LF platoon type. We could probably get a non roster invitee that fits the same role and won’t cost a 40 man spot all offseason. IMO I think we DFA Williams.  That 40 man spot is just too valuable.

I think we’re going to play it really conservatively before we just up and DFA guys. It’s not exciting, but there’s also no point in rushing anyone. Meaning Smith and Stewart will get long looks before we would let them go. 

I think its more complicated then that.   Mountcastle is probably the left fielder after April 10th.   

I don't expect a resurgence by Davis but he will be on the roster and push Mancini to the outfield when he plays. 

Wilkerson will fight with Smith for the OD left field job and Wilkerson will probably be the defensive backup in left once Mountcastle  is promoted.  Smith has an option left and he could end up as AAA depth and compete with Stewart for a backup spot on the 25  roster.

I agree that I don't see enough space for the 40 man roster for Williams but I do see the O's inviting him to ST and they offer him a AAA job.  It will be up to him if he stays if the O's organization. 

Smith spot is vulnerable and he could be traded or sold for cash to make room for pitching on the 40 man roster. That could happen this off season or next spring.  JMO

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think its more complicated then that.   Mountcastle is probably the left fielder after April 10th.   

I don't expect a resurgence by Davis but he will be on the roster and push Mancini to the outfield when he plays. 

Wilkerson will fight with Smith for the OD left field job and Wilkerson will probably be the defensive backup in left once Mountcastle  is promoted.  Smith has an option left and he could end up as AAA depth and compete with Stewart for a backup spot on the 25  roster.

I agree that I don't see enough space for the 40 man roster for Williams but I do see the O's inviting him to ST and they offer him a AAA job.  It will be up to him if he stays if the O's organization. 

Smith spot is vulnerable and he could be traded or sold for cash to make room for pitching on the 40 man roster. That could happen this off season or next spring.  JMO

Yup. Williams doesn’t need to be kept. I think the team gives Davis and Smith Jr April, basically until Mountcastle is called up and Stewart comes back.