Favorite all-time Orioles utility player?

Frobby

Roch wrote a piece on Stevie Wilkerson today, and at the end he asked who is your all-time favorite Orioles utility player.   https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/10/wilkerson-prepared-to-work-with-new-outfield-instructor.html

I’m leaving Melvin Mora out of this, since he eventually settled in as the regular 3B for quite a few years.    But he was a helluva utility player while in that role.   

My vote would go to Chico Salmon.   I’m not saying he was the best utility guy we ever had, just that I liked him the best.    He was a high energy guy who always had a smile on his face.   He had a great year in 1969, batting .297/.375/.451 while starting 3 games at 1B, 8 at 2B, 6 at SS, and 1 at 3B.    He also subbed in 20 games and pinch hit in 16 (with some overlap there).    His career went downhill after that, with his OPS and playing time dropping significantly each year, but I still remember him fondly.   

• Upvote 1

o

Merv Rettenmund.

My Orioles fandom began when I was a 6 year-old boy, in first grade in October of 1971. Growing up in Brewster, NY, it was pretty unusual for a kid to adapt the Orioles as his favorite team, but I did. The Orioles were playing the Pirates in the World Series. I remember the last two games of the series (Game 6 and Game 7.) My whole family was rooting for the Pirates because they liked Roberto Clemente, so naturally, I rooted for the Orioles. After the final groundout to end Game Seven which give the Pirates the series, my whole family whooped it up in the living room, and I went outside, put my face in my hands, and pouted on the swing-set in our back yard up here in Brewster, NY.

I later found out that the player who grounded out for that final out of Game Seven (and I remember it vividly) was Merv Rettenmund.

o

42 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

Merv Rettenmund.

My Orioles fandom began when I was a 6 year-old boy, in first grade in October of 1971. Growing up in Brewster, NY, it was pretty unusual for a kid to adapt the Orioles as his favorite team, but I did. The Orioles were playing the Pirates in the World Series. I remember the last two games of the series (Game 6 and Game 7.) My whole family was rooting for the Pirates because they liked Roberto Clemente, so naturally, I rooted for the Orioles. After the final groundout to end Game Seven which give the Pirates the series, my whole family whooped it up in the living room, and I went outside, put my face in my hands, and pouted on the swing-set in our back yard up here in Brewster, NY.

I later found out that the player who grounded out for that final out of Game Seven (and I remember it vividly) was Merv Rettenmund.

o

Good choice.  Merv was a pure hitter - though not much of an OFer. 

Clemente blew me away as a RFer in that WS when I was 10.  Here's a clip of the best way to run the bases against Roberto:  https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Roberto+Clemente+Greatest+Plays&&view=detail&mid=A14ACCF8E842A4606D25A14ACCF8E842A4606D25&rvsmid=13F38E1CB16C586FDD8013F38E1CB16C586FDD80&FORM=VDQVAP

Don't ever test his arm.  He was simply the best. 

• Thanks 1