No Fanfest in 2020?

mdbdotcom

21 hours ago, Going Underground said:

I think a caravan across the state of Maryland  and parts of Central PA  would be a good idea. About six teams have one in January,at least as of last year. You get five or six different buses and the Orioles roam the state and near York ,PA. Each bus has two or so current Orioles,two former Orioles ,a TV and radio guy and two minor leaguers and Oriole bird and maybe a minor league mascot depending on what stadium they stop at. .  i know the other teams stop at businesses,schools,hospitals,nursing homes.etc. Kids clinics indoors also .

Stops could be started in Hagerstown and go to Fort Detrick and up to a mall in York,Pa and end up at the Keys Stadium for Oriole season ticket holders and Keys season ticket holders to get autographs. 

Also off for the Eastern Shore and ending at the Shorebirds stadium for again season ticket holders of Shorebirds and Orioles.

One for Annapolis with stops at the USNA and go to Fort Meade and end up at the Baysox Stadium again for season ticket holders of both teams.

One for Aberdeen with stops at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds and ending at the Ironbirds stadium for season ticket holders of both teams.

The big one would be the one for Baltimore which would have to include the # 1 draft pick with stops at SSA and throughout the county and city ending at Camden Yards for autographs for season ticket holders. 

They would also be stopping at the other places I listed above.

The Reds are even doing a contest this year where the bus stops at your place of business or your house if you win.

https://www.mlb.com/news/reds-caravan-details-released-for-2019-c302354222

What’s stopping them from doing this and keeping FanFest? 

From a marketing perspective this is a bit of a head scratcher. This would have been a great opportunity to introduce the fans to some of the up and coming players like Hays, Mountcastle, Harvey, etc. Heck, I would have even expanded to include some of the minor leaguers who probably won't get spring training invites like Diaz, Rodriguez, Rutchsman, etc. Now is the time to start marketing the future to the casual fans. And expecting poor attendance is a terrible reason to cancel something that has been going on for years. Really bad look for the organization. 

On 10/23/2019 at 3:42 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Then market FanFest around "the future" and do more to include the Minor League stars. Not everyone can, or wants, to drive to Delmarva, or Norfolk, or hit up every affiliate.

I just said the exact same thing in my post (before I read yours). I've been supportive of the changes and decisions over the last year, but this is truly a bad look. Just think, the manager has to field questions after every single loss and the management team can't bring it upon themselves to sit in the hot seat for one day? 

18 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

From a marketing perspective this is a bit of a head scratcher. This would have been a great opportunity to introduce the fans to some of the up and coming players like Hays, Mountcastle, Harvey, etc. Heck, I would have even expanded to include some of the minor leaguers who probably won't get spring training invites like Diaz, Rodriguez, Rutchsman, etc. Now is the time to start marketing the future to the casual fans. And expecting poor attendance is a terrible reason to cancel something that has been going on for years. Really bad look for the organization. 

I guess you could make guys on the 40 man roster come. You couldn't with anyone else though.

Wow, no Fanfest?  Bummer!  We've been to everyone since 1999 with my kids and was looking forward to taking my grandkids this year.

This old timer would like to see something like a "HOFest" inviting all Orioles HOFers.  I'm guessing its about 40 or so.  Gentile, Brady, Baines....

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Not a bad take. I’m afraid the money aspect of this is a big reason why they cancelled it and that is very disappointing to hear.

56 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Not a bad take. I’m afraid the money aspect of this is a big reason why they cancelled it and that is very disappointing to hear.

The only people going are the people who are the people who buy season tickets seems to be their reasoning.  I am not sure anyone could be that dumb. 

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

Elias said during his end-of-season news briefing that he isn’t willing to sacrifice any significant payroll to chase meaningless victories while he’s still in the early stages of building his “elite talent pipeline"

Good summary. We are gonna have to learn to enjoy the small stuff again. It's DC's winter.

12 minutes ago, weams said:

Good summary. We are gonna have to learn to enjoy the small stuff again. It's DC's winter.

Not spending money on the major league team makes sense. Save it for when it matters. 

That said not having a FanFest if it was a money decision is being cheap and is an insult to the fan base. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

I'm sorry, but I'm seriously questioning Schmuck's comment about FanFest being expensive. In the grand scheme of things for a MLB baseball team I really don't think it is. I'm sure they use existing employees who are already on payroll to plan the event, the giveaways are old excess merchandise, and they don't have to pay any of the players / team representatives anything extra to attend. And the concession sales probably come close to covering the salaries of most of the lower level workers. All that leaves is the rental fee for the Convention Center. I think it has more to do with their potential embarrassment of having a record low number of fans attend, and if that's the case it's a disappointing cop out.  There's plenty of things they could have done to drum up interest in the event. Invite former Oriole HOFers, upcoming prospects, local celebrities, etc. Maybe even consider a cross promotion with the Ravens. Even if it's just having the mascots or even the marching band at the event. This really just feels like unnecessary frugality and laziness.   

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm sorry, but I'm seriously questioning Schmuck's comment about FanFest being expensive. In the grand scheme of things for a MLB baseball team I really don't think it is. I'm sure they use existing employees who are already on payroll to plan the event, the giveaways are old excess merchandise, and they don't have to pay any of the players / team representatives anything extra to attend. And the concession sales probably come close to covering the salaries of most of the lower level workers. All that leaves is the rental fee for the Convention Center. I think it has more to do with their potential embarrassment of having a record low number of fans attend, and if that's the case it's a disappointing cop out.  There's plenty of things they could have done to drum up interest in the event. Invite former Oriole HOFers, upcoming prospects, local celebrities, etc. Maybe even consider a cross promotion with the Ravens. Even if it's just having the mascots or even the marching band at the event. This really just feels like unnecessary frugality and laziness.   

Schmucks comment is his opinion of the rational and he says as much.  Only 8000 came last year and there is a chance that some of the more "popular" players that could headline another year are going to be on the block.  I agree with everyone who thinks the Orioles should do something and it would behoove them to communicate that as they are cancelling this event, but a complete renovation mens tearing down some stuff and in the grand scheme of things I don't think this is a huge deal.  Again, I just think it could be communicated better....