Pat Valaika claimed from Colo

7Mo

17 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

That .752 OPS looks pretty bad when you consider he plays half his games at Coors. It's just a 80 wRC+, not good. He does hit lefties much better than righties. But an 80 wRC+ short half of a platoon is not going to keep you on a 40 man. 

The pick-up is just grabbing a position flexible guy who doesn't hurt you defensively who just had his best minor league season (compared to league average) in pro ball. It's a low cost bet that there was a real change made and if not, he's an easy DFA. 

You will know more about this than me but I wonder how much difference there is between Coors  Field and Camden Yards with the superball last season.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

You will know more about this than me but I wonder how much difference there is between Coors  Field and Camden Yards with the superball last season.

Camden Yards had a 1.088 park factor in 2019, Coors had a 1.394 park factor. So 8.8% above average offense vs 39.4% above average offense. 

Watched some video and did a little digging, 

He puts the ball in the air and has some solid power. Anecdotally, his AAA performance was powered by analytics staff telling him which locations to hunt pitches and which he statistically didn't handle well. His problem IMO is his noisy hands pre-swing, leading to poor timing and an inconsistent load. If he was younger, I'd consider it fixable, maybe it still is and the K-vest stuff will help him. I wouldn't be surprised if he is DFA before we find out though with teams clearing 40 man spots to protect guys from the Rule 5 draft. 

I would have perferred they grab Tyler Anderson who was DFA instead of non-tendered, but the Giants who have NL waiver priority snagged him first. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

That .752 OPS looks pretty bad when you consider he plays half his games at Coors. It's just a 80 wRC+, not good. He does hit lefties much better than righties. But an 80 wRC+ short half of a platoon is not going to keep you on a 40 man. 

The pick-up is just grabbing a position flexible guy who doesn't hurt you defensively who just had his best minor league season (compared to league average) in pro ball. It's a low cost bet that there was a real change made and if not, he's an easy DFA. 

I think you make good points here.

The Norfolk marketing department can full-go their Rylan Bannon events.

Colorado is an interesting organization infield depth wise.  They've committed to Murphy at 1B for 2 more years, and Story/Arenado are All-Stars.  McMahon and Hampson battled for 2B last year, but I think they hope Brendan Rodgers eclipses both starting sometime next year, and Colton Welker is another reasonable IF guy not too far off.

I hope they do well enough starting off next year to have some use for whatever pieces we might have next summer.