It's Our Time!

connja

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't like mocking transactions just because they are likely to have little or no impact to the success of the major league team.  The Nats' and Astros' AA teams have to have utility infielders, too.  Do their fans react with howling and cackling when they acquire one?

I guess folks would prefer that nobody is competing with Stevie Wilkerson in the spring?  Or that the O's should skip all acquisitions that don't add 3-4 wins this year?

I think the number of the transactions is what makes me think that.

I looked at a pitchers stats we acquired through waivers last year and I was like don’t bothering remembering his name as he won’t be here in two weeks.  

9 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The last one is me.

Moose missed a couple really obvious ones:

"Palooka had a 1.63 ERA with Oklahoma City in two starts and 11 innings at the end of the year, so he's a lock for the O's rotation."

"I don't understand why Elias is trying to win 28 games again next year.  It's a disgrace.  When are we getting a real GM/owner/players/fans/universe?"

I hear Joe Palooka had a helluva left hook.    Good asset to have in case the team gets into a brawl.   

(Am I dating myself by revealing that I actually know who Joe Palooka was?)

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

I hear Joe Palooka had a helluva left hook.    Good asset to have in case the team gets into a brawl.   

(Am I dating myself by revealing that I actually know who Joe Palooka was?)

Congratulations! You have won a one-way ticket to Palookaville!

22 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

This will be Mike Elias first full offseason with the Orioles.  Just seeing how he approaches it will be interesting.

The truth is, often the most meaningful work isn’t exciting to watch, and gets very little attention.   Let’s say Matt Blood hires 5-10 minor league coaches who understand the front office’s vision, are on the same page, and know how to implement it effectively.    That could have huge consequences for the long term success of the franchise, but we’re never going to know it.    Let’s say Koby Perez hires 3-4 really plugged in scouts to help him beef up the Dominican operation, or hires a guy who oversees the construction of a first class training facility.    Let’s say Sig Mejdal hires some 23 year old kid who’s a really brilliant analyst who comes up with new information that helps us gain an edge.   

Most of those things are more important than who we pick up off waivers to replace the guy who holds the 40th spot on our roster.   But it’s the latter we’ll be discussing because we don’t have much information about the other things.    

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The truth is, often the most meaningful work isn’t exciting to watch, and gets very little attention.   Let’s say Matt Blood hires 5-10 minor league coaches who understand the front office’s vision, are on the same page, and know how to implement it effectively.    That could have huge consequences for the long term success of the franchise, but we’re never going to know it.    Let’s say Koby Perez hires 3-4 really plugged in scouts to help him beef up the Dominican operation, or hires a guy who oversees the construction of a first class training facility.    Let’s say Sig Mejdal hires some 23 year old kid who’s a really brilliant analyst who comes up with new information that helps us gain an edge.   

Most of those things are more important than who we pick up off waivers to replace the guy who holds the 40th spot on our roster.   But it’s the latter we’ll be discussing because we don’t have much information about the other things.    

I agree. Elias has already made alot of good moves that won't register high on the Richter scale. I know the Orioles won't be big players in the FA market. But I'm excited to see what international moves he makes and how he assembles the 2020 squad and what personal touches of his own he puts on the franchise.

I like naming Holt as pitching director. I am very excited to see what is done this winter. 

• Upvote 1