Jose Iglesias?

wildcard

11 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

I’m cool with Martin for $600k in 2020. 
Think about spending money on defense when our pitching prospects begin to arrive.

11 hours ago, weams said:

You've got it.

I think if we follow Weam's line of thinking about not spending...Think of the Orioles avoiding Charmin and using 379117-toiletpaper-greatvalue-bathroomti 

For another year at least.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, wildcard said:

Elias wants a veteran defensive shortstop.    Iglesias  is a a free agent.  He turns 30 in January.   He made 2.5m last year after making 6.2m in 2018.      Here is what one report out if Cincinnati says about him.

https://blogredmachine.com/2019/09/14/cincinnati-reds-defense-alone-warrant-contract-jose-iglesias/

Not a great hitter.  HIs career numbers are 273/315/371/687.  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/i/iglesjo01.shtml

If his contract his off season is 2.5m-3M I can see Elias trying to sign him.  If its a lot higher I doubt he becomes a Orioles.

What is you take?

He could be the new Cesar Izturis! 

But you know... Luis Hernandez is only 35.  He played in the Atlantic League in '17.  I bet Elias could lure him out of retirement with a $550k deal.  I hear he's still way better than Miggy.

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't see the need.  I'm also fine with Richie Martin for another year and would like to see if his offense can do anything to resemble the 2nd half he had last year, too.

I wanted him last year. I hope we sign Iglesias. He settled for a MiL deal last year. This pitching staff needs all the help they can get. 

Elias wants Martin to work on his bat. Perhaps second half of season he can return from AAA. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Also, I would rather extend Villar than sign Iglesias for a multiyear deal.

Extending Villar would be one of the worst possible moves this team could make. 

Id be fine with Iglesias but honestly, if it’s not a super cheap one year deal it’s just silly. Martin was pretty terrible but so was the whole damn team. As long as it’s a passable glove I would be satisfied. I think Elias is really only talking out loud about a veteran SS to give us fans some crumbs to work with. Something tells me it’s not really that important one way or the other. 

32 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I wanted him last year. I hope we sign Iglesias. He settled for a MiL deal last year. This pitching staff needs all the help they can get. 

Elias wants Martin to work on his bat. Perhaps second half of season he can return from AAA. 

I'd love to have Iglesias but I'm concerned he's gonna be too expensive. 

This guy might be more likely:

Adeiny Hechavarria- 31 years old

Jose Iglesias may be one of the top options for a team looking for a cheap, quality defender at the shortstop position and wouldn’t be a terrible stopgap for the Orioles if Villar is out of the picture. The last two guys on this list aren’t full season options to take over at shortstop, but are solid depth options who bring a quality glove.

Hechavarria doesn’t bring much at the plate with his career .253 average and .290 OBP, but he is coming off a season where he recorded a wRC+ of 93, surpassing his previous high of 89 back in 2015 with the Miami Marlins. But we aren’t here for his offense.

His glove has helped to keep him around on seven different franchises in eight big league seasons, but there may be a slight cause for concern. Looking at his defensive metrics, Hechavarria’s numbers have declined in each of the last five seasons.

Since he recorded a 1.7 dWAR, 9 Defensive Runs Saved, and an UZR of 10.6 in 2015, each of those numbers have steadily dropped. He had a successful stint to close out 2019 with the Atlanta Braves, so maybe he’s not done yet.

However, with Hanser Alberto in the lineup, it might make more sense to have a depth option who has more success against right-handed pitching. Hechevarria posted a wRC+ of 124 against lefties, but just 85 against righties.

https://birdswatcher.com/2019/11/09/baltimore-orioles-three-veteran-shortstop-options/2/

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, John Welch said:

I'd love to have Iglesias but I'm concerned he's gonna be too expensive. 

This guy might be more likely:

Adeiny Hechavarria- 31 years old

Jose Iglesias may be one of the top options for a team looking for a cheap, quality defender at the shortstop position and wouldn’t be a terrible stopgap for the Orioles if Villar is out of the picture. The last two guys on this list aren’t full season options to take over at shortstop, but are solid depth options who bring a quality glove.

Hechavarria doesn’t bring much at the plate with his career .253 average and .290 OBP, but he is coming off a season where he recorded a wRC+ of 93, surpassing his previous high of 89 back in 2015 with the Miami Marlins. But we aren’t here for his offense.

His glove has helped to keep him around on seven different franchises in eight big league seasons, but there may be a slight cause for concern. Looking at his defensive metrics, Hechavarria’s numbers have declined in each of the last five seasons.

Since he recorded a 1.7 dWAR, 9 Defensive Runs Saved, and an UZR of 10.6 in 2015, each of those numbers have steadily dropped. He had a successful stint to close out 2019 with the Atlanta Braves, so maybe he’s not done yet.

However, with Hanser Alberto in the lineup, it might make more sense to have a depth option who has more success against right-handed pitching. Hechevarria posted a wRC+ of 124 against lefties, but just 85 against righties.

https://birdswatcher.com/2019/11/09/baltimore-orioles-three-veteran-shortstop-options/2/

If it’s a bidding war of some kind for him you walk away. 

Not a bad back up option is Hechavarria. 

I don’t know why anyone even worries about offense with these guys. You sign them to help out the pitching staff and save some pitches that the young guys have to throw. If they could hit and field they are stars and aren’t available.  

• Upvote 1

On 11/10/2019 at 7:44 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

He could be the new Cesar Izturis! 

But you know... Luis Hernandez is only 35.  He played in the Atlantic League in '17.  I bet Elias could lure him out of retirement with a $550k deal.  I hear he's still way better than Miggy.

And don't forget, he would off a strong veteran presence on the club as well.  :--)

I'd think Villar's price is on the high side for this year, but last year they were willing to keep his 4.825 mill price tag.

IDK if Martin starts in AAA or Majors, but he wasn't really full time at year end either way.  If they trade Villar (or non-tender) and can get Iglesias cheaper than 3ish, it seems possible.  I would imagine that would be the high side and about all they'd do this offseason on the FA side outside of rule V, waiver pickups, minor league type signings.

I don't expect it, but they did put a lot of darts towards middle infield last year and I think they'd be wise to throw some more.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

I'm all for it if he helps us get from 58 to 62 wins next year. Oh wait. No I'm not. 

Rule V or Martin, IMO. Stay cheap. There's a time to spend a bit to shore up SS. This isn't the team to do that.

Iglesias only received a MiL deal last year. He won’t cost much. Made $2.5M last year.