2019 Draft Standouts

cboemmeljr

Thanks for these.    I’m really fascinated by Dan Hammer.   Here’s a guy who had a 6.15 ERA and 1.67 WHIP in college, and we draft him and he posts a 1.29 ERA and 0.89 WHIP.     Obviously the O’s saw something in the guy and were able to help him make some adjustments and become very effective.    I’d love to know what they did with him.

Overall Elias & Co. seem to have done a fantastic job of finding value later in the draft.    They didn’t even choose a pitcher until the 8th round and yet the guys they drafted had tremendous success.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Neat write-ups. Certainly guys to follow. This quote was the most striking to me:

I am even willing to go out on a limb and make the “bold prediction” that Welk will become the second most remembered member of the 2019 draft class and one of General Manager Mike Elias’ signature picks.

That is bold. Hopefully he's a hit!

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Thanks for these.    I’m really fascinated by Dan Hammer.   Here’s a guy who had a 6.15 ERA and 1.67 WHIP in college, and we draft him and he posts a 1.29 ERA and 0.89 WHIP.     Obviously the O’s saw something in the guy and were able to help him make some adjustments and become very effective.    I’d love to know what they did with him.

Overall Elias & Co. seem to have done a fantastic job of finding value later in the draft.    They didn’t even choose a pitcher until the 8th round and yet the guys they drafted had tremendous success.   

I watched a number of Hammer’s college starts and he was a guy who’d show you 3 average pitches at times but had poor control and inconsistent feel.

• Upvote 1

Welk did so well this year, but Gunnar is considered the likely 3rd baseman of the future and makes the top 10 for Tony and Luke.  What will Welk have to do to stay ahead (he was basically a level above) or get ahead (in the rankings)?  Does he have a shot  at the majors or is he likely to be only a throw in for a trade?

3 hours ago, Pheasants said:

Welk did so well this year, but Gunnar is considered the likely 3rd baseman of the future and makes the top 10 for Tony and Luke.  What will Welk have to do to stay ahead (he was basically a level above) or get ahead (in the rankings)?  Does he have a shot  at the majors or is he likely to be only a throw in for a trade?

Welk will have to excel at his level while moving up, over a full season of minor league ball. There's more, of course, but I suspect people will be a little conservative on their opinions until he does. I don't know if Tony/Luke have seen him or not.

But Henderson is VERY young. If he performs, it'll be hard to over take him in the rankings, or stay ahead of him in the minors, because he'll be busy over taking a bunch of other folks. That's not a knock on Welk though.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/11/2019 at 10:07 AM, Frobby said:

This is my (not so) secret fantasy for the Elias regime. Identifying characteristics in players that are under-valued in the marketplace, applying a combo of technology and / or advanced coaching techniques that players can rapidly and permanently integrate for sustained success.

This, and drafting awesome baseball names, like "Dan Hammer"

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1