This has me worried...

ChaosLex

Let 'em spend.

After winning 4 World Series in 5 years, they went out and signed Mike Mussina...and lost in the World Series in 2001.

So they went out and signed Jason Giambi...and got bounced in the first riund of the playoffs in 2002.

So they looked to Japan and signed Godzilla -Hideki Matsui- and lost another Series in 2003.

So they traded for A-Rod...and became the biggest chokers in baseball history in 2004.

So they traded for Randy Johnson...and lost in the first round in 2005.

So they signed free agent Johnny Damon...and lost in the first round again in 2006.

So they lured back Roger Clemens again...and failed to survive the first round in 2007.

So they changed managers...and appear likely to miss the playoffs in 2008.

Back when they had Scott Brosius, Tino Martinez, Paul O'Neill, Jeff Nelson , etc...they went 46-15 in poxt-season games from 1996-2000, so I don't want to hear about the October "crapshoot" either...

Nothing personal Boom Boom but posting this record of theirs as if it is a bad thing is amazing to me. In baseball you really can't ask for anything more than being in the playoffs year after year after year including multiple world series appearances.:o

Lets not delude ourselves into thinking that the Yankees strategy has not been successful just because they didn't win it all. They are always right there and they will be next year too.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The K-Rod stuff was more to underline the fact that their bullpen is average behind Rivera.

There's little doubt in my mind that they grab Sabathia, some set-up guy(s), and then hesitate to give a similar deal to Tex. I think them getting a less expensive power left-handed bat to replace Giambi (Dunn) is more likely after they sign Sabathia.

Tex is a switch hitter with power from both sides, I am fairly confident he will be donning pinstripes next year. I just cant wait for him to sign somewhere, its going to be brutal this offseason with all the speculation threads about him.

I think he was happy in Atlanta. His intention, obviously, is free agency. My point is that money does not seem to be his only concern but also his family's welfare and his desire to win. Greed is not his only goal as he clearly indicates he will take a lesser offer if he feels that it is the right one overall. If you recall, he didn't "spew" much in Texas.

I believe you can safely add Baltimore to your list.

I see it as him being polite to the fanbases of teams that he might be with long-term. He had no desire to stay in Texas, so he got out of there.

He might want to play for the Angels if the offer is right, so what do you expect him to say?

I'm not saying he'll definitely take the highest offer. I'm just saying that reading anything into what he says before he signs is a mistake.

Tex is a switch hitter with power from both sides, I am fairly confident he will be donning pinstripes next year. I just cant wait for him to sign somewhere, its going to be brutal this offseason with all the speculation threads about him.

I know that Tex is a switch-hitter. My hold-up is that I believe Sabathia to be a greater need, and thus the top target for the Yankees.

Do you really think they'll throw over $300 million at TWO players?

I don't. That's why I think it's far more likely that they'll go Sabathia, a cheaper long-term option at 1B (Dunn), and some bullpen help.

I know that Tex is a switch-hitter. My hold-up is that I believe Sabathia to be a greater need, and thus the top target for the Yankees.

Do you really think they'll throw over $300 million at TWO players?

I don't. That's why I think it's far more likely that they'll go Sabathia, a cheaper long-term option at 1B (Dunn), and some bullpen help.

Absolutely I do. Its not like its 300M dollars per season, they lose one of their salaries this off season when Giambi is gone, the Yank's shed a lot of payroll this off season.

I realize that since he actually plays the game he has to have a different opinion then all of us... but what are the odds that he loathes the Yankees and Red Sox as much as we do?

I mean he's a home grown boy and an O fan as he grew up, so how could he possibly want to play for the Yankees or Red Sox? Back when I used to play I always envisioned playing in the MLB and HATED the idea of ever playing for the Yanks or Sox. As a matter of fact, I refused to use them whenever I even played a video game.

Then again, if he's a mercenary it might not matter. :scratchchinhmm:

I realize that since he actually plays the game he has to have a different opinion then all of us... but what are the odds that he loathes the Yankees and Red Sox as much as we do?

I mean he's a home grown boy and an O fan as he grew up, so how could he possibly want to play for the Yankees or Red Sox? Back when I used to play I always envisioned playing in the MLB and HATED the idea of ever playing for the Yanks or Sox. As a matter of fact, I refused to use them whenever I even played a video game.

Then again, if he's a mercenary it might not matter. :scratchchinhmm:

Don Mattingly was his idle, I think he was a Yankee fan.

I think he was happy in Atlanta. His intention, obviously, is free agency. My point is that money does not seem to be his only concern but also his family's welfare and his desire to win. Greed is not his only goal as he clearly indicates he will take a lesser offer if he feels that it is the right one overall. If you recall, he didn't "spew" much in Texas.

I believe you can safely add Baltimore to your list.

Put me down as one who thinks he will take the biggest contract offered to him. He isnt giving any hometown discounts. Period.

Everyone missed the best part about the Yankees next year...

Damon, Matsui, Jeter, Abreu, Rivera, Posada and so on are all a year older.

Yanks have held on by a thread the last couple of years because of their willingness to take on salary combined with the lousy division/league.

Good point on those players all being a year older.

Does anyone know who from the current team remains with the Yankees from this years roster to '09 and what the payroll figures for those remaining players are?

Will they release anyone who they assume will be dead weight but is still owed a significant amount of salary?

I'm not remotely worried about something that will never happen. No major FA will come to Baltimore anytime soon because the team isn't close to being a contender, and it doesn't have the money to compete w/the big teams.

Frankly, I wish Tx. w/just sign w/the Angels now and get this silly speculation over with.Better there than the Yankees or Red Sox.

I have to agree with Colin Cowherd's remark in that when you have unlimited resources like the Yankees have, you really don't need a farm system, you use everyone else as your Farm System. More teams are signing young star players long term of late, but you can be sure you'll see top players like Braun, Tex, Lincicum etc and "Hot" prospects like Price, LaPorta, etc in Yankee uniforms as soon as they become too expensive. So if the Yankees were smart, they'd load up on 4-5 of these types because every 5 years or so a new batch will become available. And by taking this approach, you don't have to worry about who pans out in your Farm System because all the other teams are preparing your future stars for you.

Good point on those players all being a year older.

Does anyone know who from the current team remains with the Yankees from this years roster to '09 and what the payroll figures for those remaining players are?

Will they release anyone who they assume will be dead weight but is still owed a significant amount of salary?

Releasing players who are under contract won't get them out of the contract, they'll be stuck paying their salary. Just like we are paying Jay Gibbons.

Archived