This has me worried...

ChaosLex

Mattingly was his favorite player but the Baltimore Orioles was the team he rooted for...

Sounds like a conflict of interest to me. Anyway, he'll be in pinstripes and I will be happy when the fiasco ends. :D

If Hank goes on a spree, we can't stop him, we can only hope to contain him!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Put me down as one who thinks he will take the biggest contract offered to him. He isnt giving any hometown discounts. Period.

This is part of the reason why I don't see him as a Yankee next year. The Yanks are going to have to bid high to get C.C. and I think they'll settle for someone like Dunn, using the extra money to address either another SP or bullpen help.

You're looking at the most expensive offseason in history there. I don't think Tex is in their plans unless the price is reasonable (which I think we can all agree, it won't be).

Don Mattingly was his idle, I think he was a Yankee fan.

Don Mattingly fan, I think I've read that. But I still believe he was an Orioles fan.

I liked lots of favorite players growing up, this is nothing new for kids. I liked Griffey, Frank Thomas, McGwire, and so on. Didn't mean I rooted for the Mariners, White Sox or A's over the O's.

Every year since 2001, the Yankees have been losing in the playoffs to former versions of themsevles from the late 90's. Young, hungry talented teams.

Everything has to be perfect for them to win with this approach. Didnt the Orioles try it in the mid 90's?

Actually, a better analogy might be the Yankees of the 80's

Releasing players who are under contract won't get them out of the contract, they'll be stuck paying their salary. Just like we are paying Jay Gibbons.

Yeah, that I knew but I was just wondering if anyone thinks they will give anyone their walking papers, and if so who.

This is part of the reason why I don't see him as a Yankee next year. The Yanks are going to have to bid high to get C.C. and I think they'll settle for someone like Dunn, using the extra money to address either another SP or bullpen help.

You're looking at the most expensive offseason in history there. I don't think Tex is in their plans unless the price is reasonable (which I think we can all agree, it won't be).

The cubs spent over 250M in a single offseason, the Yankees are losing 21M of Giambi's salaray, 10+M for Moose, they can easily sign both CC and Tex. I don't think its smart, but its well within the realm of possibility, and I think even probable.

Another way to look at this is:

Let 'em spend.

After winning 4 World Series in 5 years, they went out and signed Mike Mussina...and won 95 games and the division in 2001.

So they went out and signed Jason Giambi...and won 103 games and the division in 2002.

So they looked to Japan and signed Godzilla -Hideki Matsui- and won 101 games and the division in 2003.

So they traded for A-Rod...and won another 101 games and the division in 2004, making that 205 in three years.

So they traded for Randy Johnson...and won 95 games and the division in 2005.

So they signed free agent Johnny Damon...and won 97 games and the division in 2006.

So they lured back Roger Clemens again...and won 94 games, "settling" for the wildcard in 2007.

So they changed managers...and in 2008 appear certain to win more games than the Orioles have in any year since 1997.

I take little consolation that the Yankees haven't won the Series since 2000. They've been a dominant team nonetheless.

Back when they had Scott Brosius, Tino Martinez, Paul O'Neill, Jeff Nelson , etc...they went 46-15 in poxt-season games from 1996-2000, so I don't want to hear about the October "crapshoot" either...

You're free to ignore reality if you wish. You can go on pretending that something besides luck and hot streaks are the overriding factor in postseason play.

Don Mattingly fan, I think I've read that. But I still believe he was an Orioles fan.

I liked lots of favorite players growing up, this is nothing new for kids. I liked Griffey, Frank Thomas, McGwire, and so on. Didn't mean I rooted for the Mariners, White Sox or A's over the O's.

I grew up an O's fan living in NY, I have never, ever, had even a mild in interest in any of their players let alone root for one of them. To each his own.

Right and if KC or the Gnats make that offer he's theirs.:rolleyestf:

KC probably has a better young team then we do, now we all know they don't spend so thats not going to happen, but if KC put up 250M bucks, sure he'll sign there.

The cubs spent over 250M in a single offseason, the Yankees are losing 21M of Giambi's salaray, 10+M for Moose, they can easily sign both CC and Tex. I don't think its smart, but its well within the realm of possibility, and I think even probable.

I think it will take about $25 million to sign C.C.

+

$20 million to sign Tex

+

$10 million for relief pitching

+

Possibly $10+ million for more SP

=

Quite a bit more than comes off their books.

I think it will take about $25 million to sign C.C.

+

$20 million to sign Tex

+

$10 million for relief pitching

+

Possibly $10+ million for more SP

=

Quite a bit more than comes off their books.

They can support a 300+ million dollar a year payroll and still make a ton of money, you really cant be suggesting the Yankees are on a limited budget. Hank is George's son, if he is hellbent on making his team, a team to be feared or whatever he said then he will open the coffers. Its not smart, but it is realistic.

I think the Yankees are suffering because they have abandoned what works for them. Having an Allstar player at every postion and signing 2-3 top starting pitchers along with some bullpen help. I think they are in the perfect situation in that because they're in the playoff hunt every year, top FA's may sign there for less(not alot less) just to be on a team that's going to be in the playoffs every year. They should have traded their 2 young pitching prospects and had Tex at 1B now. They can easily replace whatever they trade away and have a better idea what they'll get from it.

They can support a 300+ million dollar a year payroll and still make a ton of money, you really cant be suggesting the Yankees are on a limited budget. Hank is George's son, if he is hellbent on making his team, a team to be feared or whatever he said then he will open the coffers. Its not smart, but it is realistic.

Maybe I'm just being too rational and giving the Yankees too much credit.

We're obviously coming at this from different perspectives. You think they will spend, spend, spend. I think they will be smarter with their money and spend in the areas of greatest need.

According to Cots :

Giambi 22M

Abreau 16M

Pettitte 16M

Ivan Rodriguez 13M

Mussina 11M

Pavano 11M

Are all due to come off the books after this season. Pavano has a club option that wont get picked up.

Still think they cant afford CC, Tex, and some bullpen help?

Archived