Compensation Picks?

I thought I remember reading that if we did not sign Matusz, we would have gotten the 4th pick again in next year's draft.

Does that hold true for all rounds of the draft? For example, if we did not sign our 12th rounder, would we get the same pick in the 12th again next year as well as our slotted 12th rounder?

Thanks in advance for clearing it up!

I thought I remember reading that if we did not sign Matusz' date=' we would have gotten the 4th pick again in next year's draft.

Does that hold true for all rounds of the draft? For example, if we did not sign our 12th rounder, would we get the same pick in the 12th again next year as well as our slotted 12th rounder?

Thanks in advance for clearing it up![/quote']

It only works like that for the first 3 rounds. You get the pick after the unsigned pick in the next year's draft, so if we hadn't signed Matusz we'd get 5th pick next year, or if we missed on Avery we'd get 5th in the 2nd round next year. If we had missed on Hoes, then we'd get a pick in the compensation round after the third round.

I thought I remember reading that if we did not sign Matusz' date=' we would have gotten the 4th pick again in next year's draft.

According to this...

1st or 2nd round pick = same slot pick

3rd round pick = supplemental pick between 3rd and 4th round

Looks like nothing past 3rd round...

Teams can also earn compensation for unsigned picks from the previous year's draft. If a team doesn't sign a first or second round pick, they will get to pick at the same slot plus one the following year. For instance, if the team with the #5 pick does not sign that player, they would have the #6 pick the following year. The regular draft order would continue around those picks. For compensation for not signing a third round pick, teams would get a pick in a supplemental round between the third and fourth rounds. If a team fails to sign a player with one of these compensated picks, there is no compensation the following year.

Compensation for unsigned picks is as follows:

If a team doesn't sign a pick in the first or second round, it gets a pick in essentially the same slot in the next draft.

So if Matusz hadn't signed, the Orioles would have had pick 4A next year or 5th overall (since all the players taken before him signed).

Unsigned third-round picks will merit a supplemental pick between the third and fourth rounds next year.

There is no compensation for unsigned draft picks after the 3rd round.

Source

EDIT: Looks like I just missed the rush to answer this :-)

That tempers my glee over the Yankees not signing their #1 and #2 this year. I knew they would get anotherr #1 next year, but I did not realize they would also get anoterh #2. DRAT!

I sure hope that they don't get any extra picks from any of their free agents at the end of this year.:mad:

I thought that's how we got Olson?

EDIT: or did we get a sandwich pick for Townsend instead of the same number pick?

Olson was a supplemental pick (#48th) for losing Townsend. Jay Bruce went #12, thus no shot at him as the Orioles had the #13 pick. Townsend (#8) ended up being drafted by Tampa Bay and is nowhere to be found due to injuries.

Archived