2019 MLB Winter Meetings Grande Thread

weams

Mets Porcello following Mets Wacha is interesting - I guess they may try Wacha on the Drew Pomeranz career path right away.

In that category, I'm curious to see how the Giants deploy Gausman.  They were the holders of 2019 Pomeranz, who languished in their rotation before excelling in their bullpen and creating a mini-market for himself in a few weeks.  A few months of RP excellence would have a bigger trade payoff - I half think Gausman is their closer, not their #3 starter.

Angels Rendon a ding to Mancini scenarios - Rangers can probably just afford Donaldson and Encarnacion for RH thump now.

24 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

MLB annual revenue and annual payroll info can be found pretty easily online. That seems like a pretty good benchmark. How do you think they're deceiving us? 

Revenue - https://www.statista.com/statistics/196638/revenue-of-the-baltimore-orioles-since-2006/ (2018 Revenue $251M)

Payroll - https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/baltimore-orioles/payroll/ (2020 Total Payroll $43,533,782)

Ok great ... What might this not include? 

Does this include MASN which is a separate entity but is part of the Orioles resources. Is the money for Orioles broadcast rights included in the $251 million figure? 

24 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Ok great ... What might this not include? 

Does this include MASN which is a separate entity but is part of the Orioles resources. Is the money for Orioles broadcast rights included in the $251 million figure? 

I'm not sure and like I said it was just intended to be a benchmark. Do you feel the team is trying to hide the MASN money from us? Because I feel like it's pretty widely known that they receive income from MASN. We might not know the exact number, but we do know that it's been a pretty good chunk of change. I'm just trying to better understand why you the team has more money then they lead us to believe. To me there's a distinct difference between misleading and not spending because the timing isn't right. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember seeing a single quote in recent months by Elias or anyone else within the organization implying that they were financially strapped. 

Also found this when I was Googling in relation to the valuation of the team. https://www.forbes.com/teams/baltimore-orioles/#ed9f7db76dba

Just now, SteveA said:

So the meetings are nearly over and how many actual TRADES were there?   Nomar Mazara.   Were there any others that I am forgetting?   Has there ever been a Winter Meetings with fewer trades made?

The foundation of trades are typically put together during the winter meetings and then finalized later, in large part because teams don't want to add a player to their 40 man before the Rule 5. 

9 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

The foundation of trades are typically put together during the winter meetings and then finalized later, in large part because teams don't want to add a player to their 40 man before the Rule 5. 

I would still be very surprised if there has ever been a winter meetings with this few trades.

Now that the Rule 5 is over, Givens looks like the next domino to fall. I just don’t see him building value during the season. We’re going to be in such a mad scramble to cover innings with multi inning relievers. Givens won’t be used in a traditional “closer” role. He’d be used in a “fire stopper” role and wouldn’t see too many easy innings to pad his stats. 

The reliever market looks like its moving too. The Yankees know Givens’ value, and need a Betances replacement. Now that the Rule 5 is over we can trade without having to worry about players not being protected from the MLB and MILB Rule 5 draft. 

On 12/12/2019 at 11:28 AM, Roll Tide said:

I’m not sure that Forbes is any more reliable.

Im not arguing any of your posts.

Businesses try to limit tax liability. They do so by  eliminating profit,  playing hide the potato, and Writing off everything possible.

I suspect that the Orioles are no different.

Most owernship groups are diverse these days. Buying even a notable share of a team is expensive. So most of these guys are just regular businessmen interested in ownership because MLB is very stable and profitable business model to invest.  Over interest in the team itself.

Any good businessmen knows to re-invest surplus $$$. We wont don't know where all the money is going that gets put into the operation cost. What they are setting Elias budget range at. How restrictive that budget range is set by the ownership group into what it could be. I know things have been said that make it appear otherwise. Those are still just words. There is no openning of the books. So it's all guessing.

On 12/12/2019 at 1:02 PM, 7Mo said:

Yes, indeed percolating takes place. The trouble is, percolating does not drive fan interest, big mistake by MLB. Other non-baseball leagues do not follow that principal. And, if Rule 5 is the driving force, help us...players that are unprotected drive the market??