2019 MLB Winter Meetings Grande Thread

weams

19 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Yes, indeed percolating takes place. The trouble is, percolating does not drive fan interest, big mistake by MLB. Other non-baseball leagues do not follow that principal. And, if Rule 5 is the driving force, help us...players that are unprotected drive the market??

Those are all issues to take up with MLB.

And yes, I think the Rule 5 draft deters trading at winter meetings. Do you disagree?

19 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Only 10 of the 30 teams participated in the major league portion of the Rule 5 draft.

Ok cool.

Wonder why the A's completed the trade for Buddy Reed immediately after the Rule 5?

The Rule 5 is the tail wagging the dog. It should start the winter meetings, not end it. That would allow teams more freedom to finish trades. 

5 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

Ok cool.

Wonder why the A's traded for Buddy Reed immediately after the Rule 5?

The Rule 5 is the tail wagging the dog. It should start the winter meetings, not end it. That would allow teams more freedom to finish trades. 

Maybe the A's didn't have a 40-man spot so they couldn't draft him; and when no team drafted Reed, they traded for him because they didn't need to put him on the 40-man roster.  Just a guess.

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

Maybe the A's didn't have a 40-man spot so they couldn't draft him; and when no team drafted Reed, they traded for him because they didn't need to put him on the 40-man roster.  Just a guess.

Exactly. They didn't want to carry Reed on their 40 until after the Rule 5. 

11 minutes ago, Number5 said:

He's not on the 40-man

He wouldn't need to be now, right? The Rule 5 has passed.

I worded it wrong. They didn't want to complete the trade with SD before the Rule 5 because they would need to protect him but once it's done, they get a guy they don't have to put on the 40 man until next year at this time.

Your wording above is more accurate.

12 hours ago, SteveA said:

Only 10 of the 30 teams participated in the major league portion of the Rule 5 draft.

In 2018, 13 teams selected 15 players. In 2017, 15 teams selected 18 players. I would question the wording of whether teams did not "participate," as I think not drafting is different than not participating. Some of those teams may have been interested only in a player or two who may have already been drafted when it was time for their pick. If nothing else, the Rule 5 draft may divert enough teams' concentration to suppress trading at the Winter Meetings. But I think there is no way to measure that.

• Upvote 1