Iglesias signs with O's

weams

I wouldn’t mind seeing the Orioles extend Iglesias a couple years if they could do it at a reasonable rate.  Short stop seems like a position that we don’t have a prospect knocking at the door to take over.  Iglesias seems like he is really finding his bat after spending so many years as a defense only guy. 

38 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I wouldn’t mind seeing the Orioles extend Iglesias a couple years if they could do it at a reasonable rate.  Short stop seems like a position that we don’t have a prospect knocking at the door to take over.  Iglesias seems like he is really finding his bat after spending so many years as a defense only guy. 

I kind of doubt he would do it, honestly. He's 30 now. Probably has one more shot at a big pay day. Probably eyeing playing out next season then hitting the open market. With $25M of career earnings (at least according to BBref), I'm not sure he has the same desire for downside protection as some other extension candidates might.

10 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Up to 87 PA after tonight and with 24 team games remaining, another 99 PA would be required to get to the 3.1 * 60 = 186 to qualify for...something.

There are 25 days left in the season; if BABIP shines here another week 10 days, there could be...entertainment.  Ibid LeMahieu Cano.

I get your talking about qualifying and hitting .400, but was does the bolded mean, that you would bet on either of those two mainting a close to .400 average over Iglesias?  Just curious...

On 9/1/2020 at 10:27 PM, RVAOsFan said:

Iglesias has played 22 games.  22 games into the 2015 season he was hitting ..377/.427/.536.  In June of '16 he OPS'd .893.  On June 30th 2013 he was hitting .330/.376/.409. 

His career OPS is .695.  Sometimes he'll have a month or so with a high BABIP.  Mostly not.

I don't see Elias extending a shortstop into his mid-30s.  Maybe one year if there's no shortstop on the farm ready to go in '22.