Tanner Scott - breakout candidate?

Luke-OH

o

(vs. NATIONALS, 8/15)

At the beginning of the 6th inning, the Orioles had a 5-2 lead. On the first pitch of the top half of the frame, Asher Wojciechoswki ceded a home run to Trea Turner.

Scott entered the game with the Orioles needing to stem the bleeding ........ and Scott delivered.

He went 3-up/3-down to close out the 6th, and then proceeded to retire the first 2 batters that he faced in the 7th before Brandon Hyde removed him from the game.

5 batters ........ 5 outs ........ 21 Pitches )(15 )Strikes,)6 )Balls.)

o

On 8/15/2020 at 10:01 PM, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. NATIONALS, 8/15)

At the beginning of the 6th inning, the Orioles had a 5-2 lead. On the first pitch of the top half of the frame, Asher Wojciechoswki ceded a home run to Trea Turner.

Scott entered the game with the Orioles needing to stem the bleeding ........ and Scott delivered.

He went 3-up/3-down to close out the 6th, and then proceeded to retire the first 2 batters that he faced in the 7th before Brandon Hyde removed him from the game.

5 batters ........ 5 outs ........ 21 Pitches )(15 )Strikes,)6 )Balls.)

o

o

Steve Melweski (on Tanner Scott)

Tanner Scott, the lefty with the blazing fastball and big potential, is now realizing it before our eyes. The Nationals hit Asher Wojciechowski hard, scoring twice off him in the 4th inning and making some loud outs in the 5th. When Trea Turner homered leading off the 6th to cut Baltimores lead to 5-3, Orioles manager Brandon Hyde called for Scott.

Scott would face some of the Nationals' best hitters, and get all of them out. He faced 5 batters, fanning 2. It might have been his best outing as an Oriole yet. He is doing a good impression of Andrew Miller right now for this club.

Last night, Scott got those 5 outs on just 21 pitches. He threw 11 fastballs at an average of 97 MPH, and 10 sliders that averaged 90 MPH. The Nationals swung at 11 of his pitches, and whiffed five times.

Scott has an ERA of 1.13 over 8 games so far this season. In 8 innings Pitched, hes allowed 2 Hits and 1 Run, with 4 Walks and 11 Strikeouts.

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2020/08/notes-on-os-20-game-start-the-bullpen-and-more.html

o

o

Left-hander Tanner Scott faced 2 batters on Monday night, and struck them both out. He hasnt been charged with an earned run in 8.67 innings so far this season. Hes allowed 1 hit and struck out 13.

Im really pumped about Tanner Scott, manager Brandon Hyde said. What he did Monday night, thats just wipe-out stuff. Hes been doing that for the last few weeks.

SOURCE: ) Steve Melewski

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/08/notes-on-sisco-atop-the-order-scotts-dominance-hays-healing.html

o

On 1/7/2020 at 6:18 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

What worries me is that it sounds like he was trying to guide the pitch for survival and he’s only got the one option left now. At this point he could try and change his fastball back and blow up and never collect MLB paychecks. 

Eye test: Scott doesn't look to be guiding pitches this year. The delivery looks smooth even when he misses his spots. 

51 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Eye test: Scott doesn't look to be guiding pitches this year. His delivery looks smooth, even when he misses his spots.

o

Scott's confidence and demeanor when he pitches reminds me a little of Jim Johnson in his first few years with the team, circa 2007 through 2010 ........ if you got the better of him in those days, it was NOT due to a lack of confidence. Even though the franchise at-large was struggling in those days, Johnson seemed to have balls of steel out there on the mound. I see some of that in Scott, also.

o

He misses a ton of bats.  Obviously strikeouts won’t be an issue.

He has to throw more strikes.  Last year and so far this year, he is throwing less than 59% of his pitches for strikes.  League average is usually around 63-64%.

Besides walks, homers have been his other issue.  Once he learns to throw for more strikes and he gets better fastball command on the corners (ie throwing quality strikes), he will be another Andrew Miller.  But he has to learn to do that.  He is progressing very well but still a ways to go until I think you feel really comfortable with him out there. 

• Upvote 1

You can see by the reactions of better hitters - like Juan Soto - that he's earning respect - they're wowed by his stuff.  And he's certainly showing better command than he has in the past.  I wouldn't trust him to be a closer, but he's coming in with people on base and leaving them stranded.  I think he's improved quite a bit and has become an asset to the O's.  

5 hours ago, interloper said:

It's about time !!! 

But I'm still sort of waiting to see if the wheels fall off. Until then, he's looked fantastic. 

o

As a team, the wheels may be in the process of falling off.

For individuals such as Scott and Santander, it's quite possible that the wheels will be staying on.

o

On 8/20/2020 at 10:28 PM, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. RED SOX, 8/20)

Tanner Scott has inherited 12 base-runners so far this season ........ not a single one has scored.

SOURCE: ) Kevin Brown, MASN Play-By-Play Announcer

o

o

Make that 14 inherited base-runners who have not scored so far this season ........ this guy is good.

o