Miguel Castro robbed at gunpoint in D.R.

SteveA

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

On Hot Stove Hunter said that Castro was not hurt after the gun jammed.   So the robber actually tried to shot him.    This gets scarier the more i heard about it.

Yikes. That sounds gnarly. I would need a drink or ten after that.

I was just musing the other day about whether people get randomly mugged like they used to. The world seems awash with disposable crap that hardly seems the hassle of fencing. What can you get for some schmuck's 3 year old iphone?  I suspect even MLB players visiting the family in the DR don't carry all that much cash on them these days. All things considered, I suspect mugging ain't what it used to be.

That said, people be nutty everywhere. My wife's brother (who is a scary insane looking giant mountain of a man) got mugged at gunpoint in Chicago ages ago. He gave the dude his Binny's card.

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2020 at 8:38 PM, ScGO's said:

Oh he's a victim, no doubt, but how do criminals choose their victims? 

I attended a work seminar with a consultant from Garda and the two-hour session touched on this. This course offering was the result of working downtown and having numerous people assaulted coming to and from work (and to and from the building to lunch or wherever). If you consider where my building is (Pratt/Light), you'd be shocked to know about all the stuff that happens in broad daylight in the most public, touristy, area in the city.

Anyways, the consultant brought up a study done with convicted criminals (look up Betty Grayson, Morris Stein) that goes into detail about how criminals pick their targets.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20131104-how-muggers-size-up-your-walk

In summary, these studies show evidence that how you walk, regardless of your other demographics (being female, old, slow, etc), was an important factor to becoming a victim.

Food for thought.

7 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I attended a work seminar with a consultant from Garda and the two-hour session touched on this. This course offering was the result of working downtown and having numerous people assaulted coming to and from work (and to and from the building to lunch or wherever). If you consider where my building is (Pratt/Light), you'd be shocked to know about all the stuff that happens in broad daylight in the most public, touristy, area in the city.

Anyways, the consultant brought up a study done with convicted criminals (look up Betty Grayson, Morris Stein) that goes into detail about how criminals pick their targets.

In summary, these studies show evidence that how you walk, regardless of your other demographics (being female, old, slow, etc), was an important factor to becoming a victim.

Food for thought.

<div class="tenor-gif-embed" data-postid="5108110" data-share-method="host" data-width="100%" data-aspect-ratio="1.3333333333333333"><a href="https://tenor.com/view/kramer-pimp-gif-5108110">Kramer Pimp GIF</a> from <a href="https://tenor.com/search/kramer-gifs">Kramer GIFs</a></div><script type="text/javascript" async src="https://tenor.com/embed.js"></script>

Miguel Castro must've been walking with some swagger when they came for that bling bling!

Just now, ScGO's said:

<div class="tenor-gif-embed" data-postid="5108110" data-share-method="host" data-width="100%" data-aspect-ratio="1.3333333333333333"><a href="https://tenor.com/view/kramer-pimp-gif-5108110">Kramer Pimp GIF</a> from <a href="https://tenor.com/search/kramer-gifs">Kramer GIFs</a></div><script type="text/javascript" async src="https://tenor.com/embed.js"></script>

Miguel Castro must've been walking with some swagger when they came for that bling bling!

and boo my ability to never understand how memes work

7 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Food for thought.

This might be useful in some place in the UK but people in Baltimore and the Dominican Republic are armed to the max.  They don’t care about your walking style.   Like I said drop the victim blaming nonsense. 

49 minutes ago, atomic said:

This might be useful in some place in the UK but people in Baltimore and the Dominican Republic are armed to the max.  They don’t care about your walking style.   Like I said drop the victim blaming nonsense. 

Getting into non baseball territory here but of course you can to a degree behave in certain ways to decrease your likelihood of being assaulted. 

To label this as “victim blaming” is silly. You can acknowledge that the criminal is responsible for the crime while also instructing people in ways to stay safe.

8 hours ago, survivedc said:

Getting into non baseball territory here but of course you can to a degree behave in certain ways to decrease your likelihood of being assaulted. 

To label this as “victim blaming” is silly. You can acknowledge that the criminal is responsible for the crime while also instructing people in ways to stay safe.

All this useless information has nothing to do with Castro.  You think Castro was walking with a gait that said "rob me".  Please, it is dangerous in the Dominican Republic.  Why do you think that tourists that visit stay in gated resorts with armed guards?   Castro was robbed at gunpoint and I am glad he is safe.  He is no way at fault.  

15 minutes ago, atomic said:

All this useless information has nothing to do with Castro.  You think Castro was walking with a gait that said "rob me".  Please, it is dangerous in the Dominican Republic.  Why do you think that tourists that visit stay in gated resorts with armed guards?   Castro was robbed at gunpoint and I am glad he is safe.  He is no way at fault.  

It's dangerous everywhere. And comparing the gated resort to the other parts of the island is really no different (to me) then saying East Baltimore is safer than West Baltimore. I also didn't get the sense that any of the prior posts ventured into victim blaming. You can most definitely do things to minimize your chances of getting mugged. Walk in pairs, keep the flashy jewelry to a minimum, stick to more public places, etc. I will say this with Castro. I'm sure it was a bit of a walk up call. The streets he was able to wander inconspicuously a few years ago probably aren't as safe anymore now that he's achieved some level of fame/wealth.  

12 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

If a dude climbed into the polar bear pit at the Baltimore Zoo and got mauled and eaten, I'd say that was a stupid decision to climb into the polar bear pit,

and atomic would be right there to accuse me of victim blaming.

This is an idiotic post.  Poor people get mugged in the Dominican Republic.   You are just trying to make yourself feel safer by these idiotic posts. 

8 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

If a dude climbed into the polar bear pit at the Baltimore Zoo and got mauled and eaten, I'd say that was a stupid decision to climb into the polar bear pit,

and atomic would be right there to accuse me of victim blaming.

No, but comparing someone jumping into a polar bear pit (not people) to a person going back to his relatively high risk of violence hometown (most certainly people) completely misses the emotional and societal reasons behind heading back to the DR, and places the blame in what can be interpreted as a questionable place. 

This would not be a multiple page debate if Castro's home was Detroit, or another comparable US city (which by the way has a multiplicative higher crime and violent crime rate than Detroit and East St Louis at 2,752 per 100,000 in comparison to the DR's combined 22.1 per 100,000) and he went back and got mugged.

Edited by MountUrCastle

From the US Department of State on Dominican Republic:

"The most common type of crime is the drive-by robbery performed by one or two assailants (usually male) on a motorcycle, scooter, or even a bicycle. The assailant will drive up to their potential victim and grab anything in arm's reach. Often they will stop; one of the assailants will then disembark and point a handgun at the victim, demanding valuables. Although armed assaults are more likely to occur at night or when traveling by foot, they can also occur during the day while the victim is in a vehicle stopped at a traffic light. The wide availability of weapons, the use of drugs, and the weak criminal justice system all contribute to the high level of criminality in the country. 

Crime is generally not violent, if the victim cooperates. However, an assailant will not hesitate to use violence if the victim resists, which can result in serious consequences.  An overwhelming majority of homicides were committed during the commission of a robbery.

"