MLB Pipeline Top 100 list

MurphDogg

5 minutes ago, fansince1988 said:

That's nice and all, but one world series appearance in 22 seasons of existence. The stars aligned in 2008 for them. That's how I see Baltimore baseball, unless the divisions are re-aligned.

You make the playoffs and roll the dice.   They have put themselves into the position to have a fair amount of dice to roll.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You wouldn't be happy with what the Rays have accomplished since 2008?  I'll take seven 90 wins seasons out of the last 12.

Emulating the Rays would be a dream. I can’t fathom how they continually climb back into contention given the high turnover of players. Its not even like the coach and front office staff has stayed the same throughout either.

Pretty happy with this list, but here is my question for those that know much more than me: what players (if any) with a good 2020 season could be on this list next season? We will graduate Mountcastle, and hopefully add 2020 draft picks, but who in the system could make the jump?

1 hour ago, IPlayGM said:

Pretty happy with this list, but here is my question for those that know much more than me: what players (if any) with a good 2020 season could be on this list next season? We will graduate Mountcastle, and hopefully add 2020 draft picks, but who in the system could make the jump?

Mike Baumann  

5 minutes ago, Eric-OH said:

That is a great question!  That could be the best story of this season and hopefully we see some jumps overall and within the organization.  I’ll make a wild card pick and say that it’s Gunnar and he does even better with more eyes on him.

2 minutes ago, joelala said:

Mike Baumann  

If Henderson rakes, I think there’s a good chance he flirts with the list next year as well. 

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

You wouldn't be happy with what the Rays have accomplished since 2008?  I'll take seven 90 wins seasons out of the last 12.

As someone who's never seen the Orioles reach the World Series in my 29 years of life? No. Also despite that streak, they've also only won 1 AL East championship in the last decade. My main point is that ownership can be frugal and forward thinking like TB but they are going to have to invest way more than the Rays have to take us where we really want to go. The Orioles can't exist as the Rays do and actually compete with NY or Bos.

3 minutes ago, LTO's said:

As someone who's never seen the Orioles reach the World Series in my 29 years of life? No. Also despite that streak, they've also only won 1 AL East championship in the last decade. My main point is that ownership can be frugal and forward thinking like TB but they are going to have to invest way more than the Rays have to take us where we really want to go. The Orioles can't exist as the Rays do and actually compete with NY or Bos.

I'll disagree on the WS, too many teams make the playoffs, it is a very tough run.  As for the Rays, I said if the Rays can do it the O's have no excuse.  I didn't way the O's are limited to copying the Rays.  They should be able to spend more than the Rays are willing to spend.

On 1/26/2020 at 8:27 AM, IPlayGM said:

On 1/26/2020 at 9:30 AM, joelala said:

Mike Baumann  

I think you have to have pretty great tools to make the jump into the top 100, so the obvious guys are DL Hall (off 1 list), Baumann, Diaz and Henderson.

It'll likely be too soon for our newer guys, like Hernaiz (maybe Henderson who has a larger profile) or any of the international guys, to get enough playing time and publicity to jump even if they deserve it. The exception would be if a player really lights up a short season league with 60+ power or tremendous pitching velocity, etc. Stowers will be playing full season ball and theoretically might be an exception if he clicks, though I'm not personally betting on it. His ceiling is probably high enough, but I think he'd have to force his way to AA and still have success there this year to get top 100 consideration. I doubt Rom has the velocity to do it and don't think McKenna will hit enough to do it, though is speed fits the definition of a loud tool. Hanifee is another out of the box guy who could surprise, but again, the write-ups on him from Tony and Luke don't make that look like a high probability jump.

Then there's the pretty substantial list of good, but not great, prospects who profile as 45-50 types if things work out. I'm thinking guys like Kremer, Lowther, Adam Hall and Akin who could be decent professionals if things go their way but probably still aren't top 100 guys overall even with great years just because the known tool set doesn't profile with a 50+ ceiling.

I'd certainly bet on whoever we take at #2 overall to be a top 100 guy, and it's possible though not likely one more guy makes that list if we target and sign a signability guy. Lastly, you never know if we hit on a high profile international signee on J2. That's also unlikely in terms of being a top 100 ranked player this year.

• Upvote 1